Trust us, it’s not worth the risk.

By Meghan Overdeep
Updated December 19, 2019
burned power strip
Credit: Umatilla County Fire District #1

This article originally appeared on

As we move closer to the winter months and temperatures begin to dip, experts are warning against a common winter behavior that can pose a serious danger to you and your loved ones this holiday season.

One Oregon fire department recently pointed out on Facebook that residents should never ever plug a space heater into a power strip. As their photo of a charred power strip shows, the implications can be disastrous.

“These units are not designed to handle the high current flow needed for a space heater and can overheat or even catch fire due to the added energy flow,” the Umatilla County Fire District #1 wrote.

According to the National Fire Protection Association, space heaters, both portable and stationary, account for two of every five (40%) of home heating fires and four out of five (84%) of home heating fire deaths. Half of fatal home space heater fires started because something was too close to the heater and ignited. Avoid a fire this winter by keeping heaters and things that can burn at least three feet apart, and plugging power cords directly into outlets and never into an extension cord or power strip.

Be safe!

For more information, visit

This Story Originally Appeared On Southern Living