Woman Attacked By a Venomous Copperhead Snake At LongHorn Steakhouse
She was bitten a total of three times—twice on her toes and once on the side of her foot.
This article originally appeared on People.com.
Rachel Myrick and her family were heading into the foyer of the restaurant for dinner earlier this month when she suddenly felt a sharp pain in her foot. “My left foot felt a bee sting, a hornet sting — something similar,” Myrick told Washington’s Top News. “So, I reached down to brush my foot off to keep walking.”
Once she did so, she was bitten a second time and immediately began screaming as she dropped her cellphone, wallet, and let go of her 13-year-old son Dylan’s hand. When addressing the pain between the bites Myrick said, “[The second] was significantly more painful than the first time.”
RELATED: 19 Natural Remedies for Anxiety
After she was bitten a total of three times—twice on her toes and once on the side of her foot—the 8-inch-long copperhead stayed clung onto her foot until she was able to shake free.
“I freaked out,” Myrick told Fredericksburg.com. “I got bit! I got bit!” she recalls yelling out loud.
Her boyfriend, Michael Clem, who was with her at the time, knows a fair share about snakes. “I’ve bred and raised reptiles for 15 years… there was no question what it was,” he said.
Myrick was hospitalized and administered antivenin, morphine and benadryl for the severe swelling and pain.
A spokesman for LongHorn Steakhouse, Hunter Robinson, says the restaurant believes the snake may have come from a nearby retention pond and called the incident a “highly unusual incident.”
“We are working with our facilities team to see how this may have occurred and we are taking steps to prevent it from happening again,” he added.
Myrick estimates it will take her about three months to fully recover.