How to Pitch Health.com
Health provides whole-life advice and inspiration for the woman who knows who she is and wants to live well in every way. We empower. We encourage. We educate.
Health is a trusted source of news, trends, and inspiration in the health and wellness space. It's for the woman striving to improve the quality of her life.
Health has a very diverse demo, though the majority of our direct readers are 40+ and female. Most of our social followers are 18-40 and female. Our daily newsletter audience is predominantly 50+ and female. It's very common for us to create and package different stories for each outlet.
To reveal the human story behind health care and to distill the latest research and trends for readers looking for a safe place to get answers. We aim to increase our diversity and inclusion—both behind the scenes and on the page. For far too long, mainstream health media have ignored anyone not straight, cisgender, white, and thin. We seek to put a spotlight on people and communities that have been marginalized in medicine and provide resources for anyone looking for support in regard to their health and well-being.
Our Content Mix
PERSONAL ESSAYS WITH REPORTING
First-person essays related to personal health experiences, often with data and/or expert input to help support your points
Fee range: $200-$1000
- How Being a First-Generation American Affected My Mental Health
- 5 Black Mental Health Resources to Fight the Harmful Effects of Racism
- Anti-Asian Racism Is Growing—Here's What It's Like to Be the Target of Xenophobia Because of the Coronavirus
- What Losing My Husband to a Terminal Illness Taught Me About Life After Grief
Educational, evergreen, primarily answers to search queries. Always expert-based.
Fee range: $200-$500
- Transgender Surgery: Everything You Need to Know, According to Doctors
- What Does It Mean to 'Deadname' Someone? Here's How It Affects the Transgender Community
- What Are Health Disparities? Why It's Important to Fight for Health Equity—Especially Right Now
- 5 Things Psychiatrists Want You to Know About Situational Depression
Investigative features based on the latest science or social trends. A mix of data and expert opinion.
Fee range: $250-$1,000
- Skin Bias in Dermatology is Endangering BIPOC—This Medical Student Wants To Change It
- If Coronavirus Patients Outnumber Ventilators, Who Gets One? Here's How Doctors Decide
- Casual Alcohol Use Has Been Linked to Several Major Cancers—So Where's the Campaign?
- 'Hospital Diversion' Is Perfectly Legal and Putting People at Risk. Here's What You Need to Know
Service content that's related to current events
Fee range: $200-$1000
- People on Dating Apps Are Getting 'Wokefished'—Here's What That Means
- Michelle Obama Says She Has 'Low-Grade Depression'—Here's What That Means, According to Experts
- Dr. Fauci Urges People to Wear Goggles to Protect Against COVID—but Do You Really Have to?
- Your Estate Planning Checklist: How to Make a Will and Where to Find Expert Help
AS TOLD TO...
One-on-one interview narrative
Fee range: $200-$500
- I Hid My Genetic Disorder for Years—Until Doctors Found a Golf Ball-Size Cyst in My Lung
- My Constant Insomnia Turned Out to Be a Symptom of a Rare Disorder Called Hypophosphatasia
- Actress Ali Stroker Is Making History as the First Person on Broadway in a Wheelchair
- I Almost Died From a Random Act of Gun Violence. Here's What I Need People to Know
Write-ups on viral posts and trends that include an interview with original sources as much as possible
Fee range: $200-$500
- It's World Breastfeeding Week, and These 8 Women Took to Social Media to Show the Benefits for Moms and Babies
- Viral TikTok Video Gives a Firsthand Look at One Woman's Emotional Experience With Coronavirus Testing
- This Viral Photo of a Woman Not Fitting Into Her Pre-COVID Jeans Is the Perfect Response to the Quarantine 15
- The New TikTok 'Benadryl Challenge' Sent 3 Teens to the Hospital—Here's Why It's So Dangerous
Supports our e-commerce initiatives. Either first-person 'I-tried-it,' expert reviewed, or high customer approval rating
Fee range: $150-$300
- Dr. Fauci Recommends Safety Goggles for COVID—and This Affordable Amazon Style Should Be Your First Choice
- The 7 Best Sunscreens for Oily Skin, According to Dermatologists
- These Are The Most Comfortable Slip-on Sneakers I've Ever Worn—and They're Ridiculously Cute, Too
- The 6 Best Pulse Oximeters You Can Buy Online Right Now, According to Customer Reviews
A Note About Rates:
Though we have a general range, the fee is ultimately dependent upon the writer's experience, difficulty of assignment, and our current budget capabilities.
- Health Investigates: Deep dives into health care and wellness trends
- Spotlights: Bi-annual packages on social justice and health care issues; individual essays are assigned at our first-person reported fees
Questions every pitch has to answer
- Why is this story relevant to Health readers right now?
- Where is it most likely to perform? (ex: social media, Google search)
- Does Health already have a piece on the topic? (Easy way to figure this out: type site:www.health.com [INSERT TOPIC] and see what pops up in Google)
- What's the Health angle on the topic?
- What service will it provide the reader?
- What's the potential headline/s?
- hat sources does the writer intend to include?
Who to Contact
- Dara Kapoor, Digital Content Director: Investigations and spotlights
- Esther Crain, Senior Deputy Editor, Features: Misdiagnosed, Invisible Illness, But Why, Sexual Health, Relationships, and essays
- Rosemary Donahue, Senior Editor, Features: Essays and reported pieces on social trends and social justice
- Amber Brenza, Deputy Editor, Conditions: News, Health Conditions (and Living With stories), Fitness, Fit Friday, Is It Just Me?
- Karen Pallarito, Senior Editor, Conditions: Health news and reports, personal essays related to living with a specific condition
- Colleen Murphy, Editor: Diet & Nutrition, This Is Me, Oasis Spaces, My Mantra, Entertainment/Celeb, general wellness
- Susan Brickell, Senior Editor (E-commerce): Products & gear, Beauty, Skincare, Style
- Maggie O'Neill, Assistant Editor: General editorial queries, Trends: Health care and/or Wellness