8 Anti-Chafing Products to Prevent Inner Thigh Irritation, According to Experts
After months of chilly weather, warm temperatures make it all the more exciting to pull out your favorite shorts and sundresses. But unfortunately, this wardrobe swap can come with a much-dreaded side effect: Thigh burn. The irritation that develops between your legs after a day moving around in the summer heat can make it painful to walk. Luckily, this can be prevented by using one of the best anti-chafing products.
- Top-Rated: Body Glide Original Anti-Chafe Balm
- Best Budget-Friendly: Gold Bond Friction Defense Stick
- Best for Sensitive Skin: Megababe Thigh Rescue Anti-Chafe Stick
- Best for Working Out: Trislide Anti-Chafe Continuous Spray Skin Lubricant
- Best Natural: Squirrel's Nut Butter All Natural Anti Chafe Salve
- Best for Sweat Relief: Monistat Care Chafing Relief Powder Gel
- Best Anti-Chafe Shorts: Bestena Slip Shorts
- Best Thigh Bands: Bandelettes Original Elastic Anti-Chafing Thigh Bands
"Chafing is caused by friction—skin on skin friction or fabric on skin friction. This can further be exacerbated by sweating," explains dermatologist Susan Bard, MD. This is precisely why summertime is the season of thigh chafe. Shorter hemlines make it easier for skin to rub together, and high temperatures means it's more likely you'll break a sweat, whether you're going for a jog or just running errands. Luckily, this kind of irritation can be prevented by applying an anti-chafe cream or other lubricant directly to your skin before going outside, Dr. Bard tells Health.
A pair of shorts or other shapewear that adds a layer of fabric between skin that would otherwise rub together can also minimize chafing, dermatologist Lily Adelzadeh, MD, adds. But she acknowledges that this might not always be a possible solution in situations where high temperatures make an extra layer undesirable or your outfit can't accommodate it. In those cases, opting for a topical product is your best bet.The most important thing is finding what works for you and your lifestyle, because, as dermatologist Adam Mamelak, MD, says: "The best treatment for chafing is prevention." These eight anti-chafe products will keep your inner thighs smooth and rash-free, allowing you to wear all the shorts and dresses you want this summer.