These Are the Cities With the Most Bed Bugs
Orkin calculated the number of bed bug treatments it performed between January to December 2014, and ranked the top cities with the pests. You won't believe who topped the list.
The cities with the most cases of bed bugs in the United States are Chicago, Detroit and Columbus, Ohio, according to a recent promotional study released by the pest control company Orkin.
Orkin calculated the number of bed bug treatments it performed between January to December 2014, and ranked the cities based on how often they were called in. Having bed bugs doesn’t mean a living place is especially dirty, and any home or workplace is susceptible if bed bugs travel on clothing or in luggage.
Citing data maintained by the pest control industry, Orkin says Americans spent around $446 million getting rid of bed bugs in 2013. The bed bug business increased 18% last year, Orkin says.
Here’s the full list of cities ranked from most to least cases of bed bugs:
- Columbus, Ohio
- Los Angeles
- Cleveland – Akron – Canton, Ohio
- Dallas – Ft. Worth
- Richmond – Petersburg, Va.
- Dayton, Ohio
- Seattle – Tacoma
- Washington, District of Columbia – Hagerstown, Md.
- San Francisco – Oakland – San Jose
- Raleigh – Durham – Fayetteville, N.C.
- New York
- Charleston – Huntington, W.Va.
- Grand Rapids – Kalamazoo – Battle Creek, Mich.
- Omaha, Neb.
- Louisville, Ky.
- Nashville, Tenn.
- Lexington, Ky.
- Buffalo, N.Y.
- Sacramento – Stockton – Modesto, Calif.
- Syracuse, N.Y.
- Boston – Manchester
- Charlotte, N.C.
- Phoenix – Prescott
- Miami – Ft. Lauderdale
- Knoxville, Tenn.
- Cedar Rapids – Waterloo – Dubuque, Iowa
- Minneapolis – St. Paul
- Hartford – New Haven, Conn.
- Champaign – Springfield – Decatur, Ill.
- San Diego
- Lincoln – Hastings – Kearney, Neb.
- Kansas City, Mo.
- Albany – Schenectady – Troy, N.Y.
- Colorado Springs – Pueblo, Colo.
- Myrtle Beach – Florence, S.C.
- St. Louis
- Greenville – Spartanburg, S.C. – Asheville, N.C.
- Bowling Green, Ky.
- Ft. Wayne, Ind.
- Toledo, Ohio