Byte Reviews 2021: Are These the Best Invisible Aligners?
- Over 300 million people worldwide have teeth alignment issues and could benefit from straightening treatments but are unlikely to visit a doctor’s office to do so.
- One of the major obstacles to orthodontic treatments is cost (traditional braces typically cost about $5,000 and require regular office visits).
- At-home invisible aligners from Byte cost $1,895.
- Byte’s HyperByte technology speeds up the straightening process, improving your smile in two to four months.
- Byte offers the choice between All-Day Aligners (worn 22 hours/day) and At-Night Aligners (worn 10 hours/night).
- Byte’s aligners may be eligible for partial insurance reimbursement.
Your smile is often the first thing people notice about you. If you are dealing with teeth crookedness, gaps, or crowding, you may be self-conscious about your smile.
It's a common problem. Align Technology reported that over 300 million people worldwide have teeth alignment issues that could benefit from orthodontics, but they're unlikely to visit a doctor's office for treatment. The high cost of traditional braces—which cost $5,000 or more on average—and the need to visit an orthodontist every month prevent many people from getting help. The cost of Invisalign, or other invisible aligners you receive from the orthodontist's office, is often even higher than the cost of traditional braces.
That's where at-home aligner companies like Byte can make a big impact. With Byte, you can get a set of aligners for much less than the cost of braces with results in as little as two months.
According to our panel of experts, Byte is the "Editor's Choice" invisible dental aligner company. Byte has thousands of positive online reviews from verified customers, including: 4.8/5 stars on Best Company, 4.7/5 stars on Trustpilot, and 4.69/5 stars on Better Business Bureau.
Read our comprehensive review of these aligners in order to help you decide if choosing Byte is the best choice for your dental needs.
What are Byte aligners?
Byte is a company that specializes in at-home teeth straightening with clear, nearly invisible custom fit aligners. Over time, your teeth move into the proper position, improving your smile.
According to Byte, its straightening treatment process is faster than its competitors, and it's much faster than traditional braces. Instead of wearing braces for years, Byte's aligners get results in two to four months.
RELATED: SmileDirectClub Reviews and Results
As well as greater affordability and swifter results Byte also eliminates the need for office visits. Dental professionals oversee your treatment plan, but you never have to visit an orthodontist in person.
Byte works to fix your smile with invisible aligners
Signing up for Byte and getting your set of aligners is easy. You can get started in just three easy steps:
1. Request your home impressions kit.
Unlike other companies, which only offer in-person store options, Byte is done entirely through the mail.
You simply request a home impressions kit, which typically costs $95, but is currently being offered for $29.95. Once the kit arrives, you use the supplies included in the kit to take impressions of your teeth, then mail the impressions back to Byte.
2. Wear your aligners.
Byte’s orthodontists will review your impressions and develop a customized treatment plan based on your teeth alignment. Using SmileScience—Byte’s five-point analysis that determines the best tooth placement for your face—the dental professionals will create a 3-D image that shows you how the plan will work and what your smile will look like when treatment is complete.
Within five to seven weeks, you’ll receive your set of aligners in the mail. Depending on your preferences, you can opt for aligners that have to be worn 22 hours a day or aligners you wear for 10 hours per day at night. At first, you may experience some soreness as your teeth and gums adjust to the aligners, but that should only last for a few days.
Byte also offers BrightByte as a complimentary gift with your aligners. This teeth whitening treatment, used along with the aligners, will brighten your smile as you straighten your teeth.
3. Maintain your smile.
Your treatment plan with the aligners will typically take about two to four months to complete. Once you’ve finished with the aligners, you will have to wear retainers to maintain the correct teeth alignment. For the first two weeks, you need to wear your retainers around the clock, except for when you eat or drink. After that, you only need to wear your retainer at night when you go to bed (a total of eight hours per day).
Your first set of retainers is free, but you’ll have to purchase each set thereafter. Additional retainers cost $129.
Benefits and drawbacks of a Byte treatment plan
Before signing up for Byte, make sure you carefully weigh the following pros and cons:
- Treatment time: Byte is the only company to offer HyperByte, its exclusive high-frequency vibration device that when used for five minutes a day can dramatically reduce your treatment time. This impressive technology is how Byte can deliver results in as little as two months.
- Free extras: Byte’s treatment plans include teeth whitening and your first set of retainers in the initial price. Other aligner companies charge extra for retainers and added services.
- Lifetime guarantee: With the Byte for Life guarantee, your results are guaranteed for your lifetime. If your smile ever moves out of alignment after your treatment plan has ended, Byte will provide additional impression kits and alignment treatment plans at no additional cost. It is important to note that the guarantee does not cover alignment changes that occur after an accident or trauma.
- Flexibility: Byte offers you the choice between All-Day Aligners (worn 22 hours a day) or Byte At-Night Aligners (worn 10 hours at night while you sleep), allowing you to match your treatment plan to your lifestyle.
- Only for mild or moderate alignment issues: Byte is intended for people with mild or moderate alignment issues only. If your teeth alignment issues are more severe, you may not be a candidate and will need more traditional orthodontics services instead.
- Higher cost for monthly payments: While Byte does have a monthly payment financing option, it costs significantly more than if you paid for everything upfront. Specifically, you’ll end up paying over $800 in extra charges with the monthly payment plan.
- Safety concerns: While at-home aligners are popular and convenient, some dental professionals have expressed safety concerns about them. The American Association of Orthodontists cautioned consumers about using direct-to-consumer teeth straightening treatments, claiming that they could lead to dental health issues like tooth or gum loss.
Byte costs and payment plan options
Byte has two payment options:
- Single payment: If you pay upfront, the cost for the Byte treatment plan is $1,895. The price includes your custom treatment plan, aligners, HyperByte device, a bottle of BrightByte, and your first retainer.
- BytePay: BytePay is a monthly financing option. It requires a $349 deposit, and then you’ll pay $83 per month for 29 months. In total, you’ll pay $2,756 if you choose BytePay.
Does insurance cover Byte?
If you have dental insurance, you may be able to reduce the cost of Byte. While they doesn't accept direct payments from insurance companies, Byte will help you file a claim for reimbursement from your insurance provider, taking care of most of the paperwork for you. You can also use a health savings account (HSA) or flexible spending account (FSA) to offset the cost.
Byte reviews and customer support
Byte’s customer service team is available via text, phone, email, or Facebook messenger. In Byte reviews, customers usually report being highly satisfied with the product and its results. Best Company awarded Byte an overall score of 9.9 out of 10, and the brand received 4.8 stars out of 5 from over 2,900 customer reviews.
People who have used Byte also report that the company has excellent customer service and the products are easy to use.
RELATED: The 4 best water flossers
What customers are saying
Byte before and after images
Improving your smile
If you’re unhappy with your smile but don’t want to go through the hassle and expense of traditional braces, Byte is an excellent alternative. Costing significantly less than braces and delivering results in just a few months, Byte can improve your smile quickly. You can also have peace of mind knowing that Byte’s aligners are backed by a lifetime guarantee.
Kat Tretina is a journalist and copywriter with expertise in personal health and personal finance. Her content has been featured on sites such as Everyday Health, HuffPost, Forbes, Investopedia, and Credit Karma. Kat calls Orlando, Florida home.