Byte Reviews 2021: Are These the Best Invisible Aligners?
- At-home invisible aligners from Byte cost $1,895.
- Byte's HyperByte technology speeds up the straightening process, improving your smile in two to four months.
- Byte offers the choice between All-Day Aligners (worn 22 hours/day) and At-Night Aligners (worn 10 hours/night).
- You may be eligible for insurance reimbursement for Byte aligners
Health editors chose Byte as our top pick for best invisible braces after spending more than 3,000 hours researching, testing, and shopping a variety of at-home aligners. We'll share everything you need to know in this comprehensive review to determine whether Byte is the right choice for your dental needs.
Why trust our expert review?
Our experts independently research and recommend products we believe provide value in the lives of our readers. We've spent collectively more than 3,200 hours conducting in-depth research on invisible braces. To make our pick, here's what we did:
- Engaged in ongoing independent research
- Consulted with dentists and orthodontists
- Mystery shopped the brands
- Surveyed invisible braces users
- Became customers of invisible braces companies
- Interviewed experts in the field
- Read hundreds of verified customer reviews from trusted third parties such as Better Business Bureau and Consumer Reports
Why Byte is our top pick
Byte is our top pick for best invisible braces for several reasons. Its all-day or at-night aligners give you the option to customize how and when you wear your aligner. Its lifetime guarantee, free extras, and accelerated treatment time thanks to its exclusive HyperByte device makes the company stand out from the competition.
After reading hundreds of verified consumer reviews that report very high satisfaction with the results and customer service, we feel confident recommending Byte to you as the best invisible braces on the market.
- Treatment time: Byte is the only company to offer HyperByte, its exclusive high-frequency vibration device that when used for five minutes a day can dramatically reduce your treatment time. This impressive technology is how Byte can deliver results in as little as two months.
- Free extras: Byte's treatment plans include teeth whitening and your first set of retainers in the initial price. Other aligner companies charge extra for retainers and added services.
- Lifetime guarantee: With the Byte for Life guarantee, your results are guaranteed for your lifetime. If your smile ever moves out of alignment after your treatment plan has ended, Byte will provide additional impression kits and alignment treatment plans at no additional cost. It is important to note that the guarantee does not cover alignment changes that occur after an accident or trauma.
- Flexibility: Byte offers you the choice between All-Day Aligners (worn 22 hours a day) or Byte At-Night Aligners (worn 10 hours at night while you sleep), allowing you to match your treatment plan to your lifestyle.
- Only for mild or moderate alignment issues: Byte is intended for people with mild or moderate alignment issues only. If your teeth alignment issues are more severe, you may not be a candidate and will need more traditional orthodontics services instead.
- Higher cost for monthly payments: While Byte does have a monthly payment financing option, it costs significantly more than if you paid for everything upfront. Specifically, you'll end up paying over $800 in extra charges with the monthly payment plan.
- Safety concerns: While at-home aligners are popular and convenient, some dental professionals have expressed safety concerns about them. The American Association of Orthodontists cautioned consumers about using direct-to-consumer teeth straightening treatments, claiming that they could lead to dental health issues like tooth or gum loss.
Getting started with Byte
Signing up for Byte and getting your set of aligners is easy. You can get started in just three easy steps:
1. Request your home impressions kit.
Unlike other companies, which only offer in-person store options, Byte is done entirely through the mail.
You simply request a home impressions kit, which typically costs $95, but is currently being offered for $29.95. Once the kit arrives, you use the supplies included in the kit to take impressions of your teeth, then mail the impressions back to Byte.
2. Wear your aligners.
Byte's orthodontists will review your impressions and develop a customized treatment plan based on your teeth alignment. Using SmileScience—Byte's five-point analysis that determines the best tooth placement for your face—the dental professionals will create a 3-D image that shows you how the plan will work and what your smile will look like when treatment is complete.
Within five to seven weeks, you'll receive your set of aligners in the mail. Depending on your preferences, you can opt for aligners that have to be worn 22 hours a day or aligners you wear for 10 hours per day at night. At first, you may experience some soreness as your teeth and gums adjust to the aligners, but that should only last for a few days.
Byte also offers BrightByte as a complimentary gift with your aligners. This teeth whitening treatment, used along with the aligners, will brighten your smile as you straighten your teeth.
3. Maintain your smile.
Your treatment plan with the aligners will typically take about two to four months to complete. Once you've finished with the aligners, you will have to wear retainers to maintain the correct teeth alignment. For the first two weeks, you need to wear your retainers around the clock, except for when you eat or drink. After that, you only need to wear your retainer at night when you go to bed (a total of eight hours per day).
Your first set of retainers is free, but you'll have to purchase each set thereafter. Additional retainers cost $129.
What sets Byte apart
Hyperbyte technology is what allows Byte to offer treatment times that are nearly half that of other invisible braces. Hyperbyte is a device that you will place in your mouth for five minutes a day while wearing your aligners. It uses high frequency vibration to deliver small repeated pulses to the root of the tooth and the surrounding bone.
The company says these small vibrations help seat the aligners to your teeth, help reduce the discomfort associated with tooth movement, give the aligners better traction, and most importantly reduce the treatment time by half.
Hyperbyte sells for $699, but it comes free when you purchase a set of aligners.
Byte costs and payment plan options
The high cost of traditional braces—$5,000 or more on average—prevents many people from getting the smile they want. The cost of Invisalign, or other invisible aligners you receive from the orthodontist's office, is often even higher than the cost of traditional braces. However, Byte offers treatment for a fraction of the cost of braces or Invisalign.
Byte has two payment options:
- Single payment: If you pay upfront, the cost for the Byte treatment plan is $1,895. The price includes your custom treatment plan, aligners, HyperByte device, a bottle of BrightByte, and your first retainer.
- BytePay: BytePay is a monthly financing option. It requires a $349 deposit, and then you'll pay $83 per month for 29 months. In total, you'll pay $2,756 if you choose BytePay.
One thing that sets Byte apart from every invisible aligner brand you'll find is the company's unrivaled guarantee. If you've purchased an impression kit, and you're not a good candidate for Byte aligners, Byte will refund the full cost of your impressions.
If you come to the end of your treatment time after following the treatment guidelines, and you're not satisfied with your outcome, Byte will re-revaluate your case and may send you additional aligners.
Once you've successfully completed treatment, Byte guarantees your smile for life. If your teeth ever shift or move out of alignment, Byte will treat you again to correct the misalignment.
Discounts for military members
Byte offers a special discount for all active and retired military members. You'll get $150 off the price of your aligners. If you're concerned about getting deployed while needing orthodontic services—no worries. Unlike traditional braces, Byte aligners are safe for use during training and active deployment.
Does insurance cover Byte?
If you have dental insurance, you may be able to reduce the cost of Byte. While Byte doesn't accept direct payments from insurance companies, the company will help you file a claim for reimbursement from your insurance provider, taking care of most of the paperwork for you.
All you need to do is send them your insurance information, and a representative will do the work for you to determine whether your insurance plan covers treatment with Byte aligners.
The company is partnered with several large insurance companies: Anthem, Guardian, Empire Blue Cross Blue Shield, and Aetna.
You can also use a health savings account (HSA) or flexible spending account (FSA) to pay for treatment. Even if your dental insurance covers a portion of the cost, you can use your FSA or HSA to further reduce your out-of-pocket expenses.
Byte reviews and customer support
Byte's customer service team is available via text, phone, email, or Facebook messenger. In Byte reviews, customers usually report being highly satisfied with the product and its results. Best Company awarded Byte an overall score of 9.9 out of 10, and the brand received 4.8 stars out of 5 from over 2,900 customer reviews.
People who have used Byte also report that the company has excellent customer service and the products are easy to use.
RELATED: The 4 best water flossers
Byte has thousands of positive online reviews from verified customers, including: 4.8/5 stars on Best Company, 4.7/5 stars on Trustpilot, and 4.69/5 stars on Better Business Bureau.
You've had Invisalign, but your teeth have shifted
Believe it or not, it's a common problem. Many who've undergone treatment with Invisalign or braces in the past experience shifting of their teeth over time, leaving them unsatisfied with their smile. And yet, they don't really want to sign up for a year or more of orthodontist visits and the costs associated with it.
Byte is an ideal solution to this problem. With Hyperbyte technology at work, you'll likely be able to correct the unwanted tooth movement in a few months at a fraction of the cost of Invisalign.
What customers are saying
Byte before and after images
If you're unhappy with your smile but don't want to go through the hassle and expense of traditional braces, Byte is an excellent alternative. Costing significantly less than braces and delivering results in just a few months, Byte can improve your smile quickly. You can also have peace of mind knowing that Byte's aligners are backed by a lifetime guarantee.
How we chose Byte
We chose Byte as our top pick based on the following criteria:
- Dentist- or orthodontist-led treatment
- Screening process for determining eligibility
- Treatment process
- Ease and consistency of follow-up during treatment
- Willingness to assess and provide revisions during or after treatment if needed
- Customer service
- Customer satisfaction
- Product guarantee
- Financing, warranties, and product guarantees
Frequently asked questions
What are Byte aligners?
Byte is a company that specializes in at-home teeth straightening with clear, nearly invisible custom fit aligners. Over time, your teeth move into the proper position, improving your smile.
According to Byte, its straightening treatment process is faster than its competitors, and it's much faster than traditional braces. Instead of wearing braces for years, Byte's aligners get results in two to four months.
As well as greater affordability and swifter results Byte also eliminates the need for office visits. Dental professionals oversee your treatment plan, but you never have to visit an orthodontist in person.
Are Byte aligners worth it?
If you're in the market for invisible braces, you might be wondering if Byte aligners are worth it. While finding the right product depends on your specific needs and goals, Byte frequently tops the list for the best invisible braces. Customers regularly give positive reviews about the sign-up process, multiple payment plans, and excellent customer service. The shorter treatment time -- thanks to HyperByte -- is another reason people say Byte is worth it. Plus, Byte comes with a lifetime guarantee -- something you won't find with other aligners on the market.
Does Byte really work?
Studies show that clear aligners are effective in treating malocclusion (misaligned teeth). That said, the success rate of invisible braces like Byte depends on the severity of your dental issues. For example, people with complex dental and orthodontic needs like significant bite problems or severe misalignment may not see the same results wearing clear aligners as they would with traditional braces. Clear aligners like Byte are best suited for people with mild to moderate malocclusion looking for straighter teeth and a better smile. Provided you wear the custom aligners as directed, you should see results in two to four months.
How long does it take?
Byte is known for delivering quick results compared to other invisible aligners. And while result times may differ, the company says you should see straighter teeth in two to four months, which is typically half the time of their competitors. Byte attributes a speedier treatment process to HyperByte, a vibration-based technology that increases the rate of tooth movement. You'll need to use HyperByte for 5 minutes a day and wear your aligners continuously for 22 hours a day for maximum results.
What is Byte's return policy?
Byte does not accept returns. Once you've placed an order, the team begins working on your custom aligner kit and cannot accept exchanges, returns, or refunds. However, they do offer a 100 percent refund on the costs of the at-home impression kit if they determine you are not a good fit for Byte.
Kat Tretina is a journalist and copywriter with expertise in personal health and personal finance. Her content has been featured on sites such as Everyday Health, HuffPost, Forbes, Investopedia, and Credit Karma. Kat calls Orlando, Florida home.