The Best Healthy Snacks That Satisfy Every Type of Craving
Best healthy snacks of 2017
In order for us to feature these healthy snacks, they needed to meet a certain criteria. For starters, they had to be delicious. If we weren't excited to take a second bite, and then a third, we tossed it. We also scrutinized ingredient lists to be sure our winners were made from recognizable, real foods—no artificial sweeteners, excess sugar, refined flours, or unpronounceable additives or preservatives. These are snacks that you'll look forward to eating and that will love you back by offering the nutrition you need to help fuel your busy days.
The best savory snacks
1. Epic Provisions Snack Strips: There’s no shortage of jerky on store shelves, but these tasty strips are our fave. They’re made with wild-caught, grass-fed and/or antibiotic-free proteins, and they’re light on salt and sugar and rich in flavor. Plus, the texture is just right—neither shoe-leather tough nor weirdly soft. ($2 for a 0.8-oz. bar; epicbar.com) For venison steak: 45 Calories, 1g Fat, 0g Fiber, 8g Pro.
2. YuMaMi Go-Dip Snack Pack: Forget sad cracker-dip combos that are loaded with salt and additives and little else. The dips in these convenient nut- and gluten-free, non-GMO vegan packs are flavorful and full of ber and protein. Varieties include black bean yuzu-chili, lentil roasted onion-shiitake, edamame green pea-wasabi, and adzuki bean ginger-ponzu. And the sophisticated nori-speckled popped rice chips are light and crisp. ($5 for a 3.5-oz. pack; jet.com) 180 Calories, 4g Fat, 5g Fiber, 7g Pro.
3. Cocoburg Coconut Jerky: Vegan jerky lovers, rejoice: This raw, gluten- and soy-free jerky is made from marinated and dehydrated coconut, so it carries ber, potassium, and healthy fats. Plus, each variety (original, ginger teriyaki, and chili lime) is packed with meaty umami flavor and a satisfying chewiness. ($7 for 1.5 oz.; etsy.com) Per 1 oz.: 130 Calories, 8g Fat, 4g Fiber, 3g Pro.
The best creamy snacks
1. Chia Pod: Instagram darling chia pudding goes portable with these handy single-serve containers, made with almond or coconut milk and lightly sweetened. ($3.40 for 6 oz.; thechiaco.com) 160 Calories, 9g Fat, 7g Fiber, 3g Pro.
2. Good Culture: Not your grandma’s cottage cheese: These luscious organic cups contain live, active cultures for better gut health, come in creative flavors (kalamata olive! strawberry chia!), and are made without gums or other stabilizers. ($2 for 5.3 oz.; goodculture.com) 160 Calories, 5g Fat, 0g Fiber, 17g Pro.
3. Siggi’s 4%: We’d basically given up on flavored yogurt—too much sugar—until Siggi’s started making these rich, whole-milk cups with just eight grams per serving. ($1.70 for 4.4 oz.; siggisdairy.com) 140 Calories, 4.5g Fat, 0g Fiber, 12g Pro.
Best sweet snacks
1. SoulSprout Almond Butter Truffles: Truffles that are good for you—yum! Made with sprouted almonds (so they’re easier to digest), cacao powder, dates, and a few other natural ingredients, these offer indulgence without the sugar crash—there are only seven grams of sugar in two. ($4 for 2 oz.; amazon.com) Per 2 tru es: 140 Calories, 10g Fat, 3g Fiber, 5g Pro.
2. RXBAR: You don’t have to squint to read the ingredient list—it’s printed in large type, right on the front. And why not, when there are only nuts, fruit, egg whites, and spices? In tasty flavors like mint chocolate, maple sea salt, peanut butter, and mixed berry, these gluten-, soy-, and dairy-free bars will satisfy everyone. ($2.50 for a 1.83-oz. bar; amazon.com) 210 Calories, 9g Fat, 6g Fiber, 12g Pro.
3. Thunderkids Bar: Sure, they’re meant for kids, but we love the smaller size for mini snack attacks. Made with nuts, fruit, and spices, these bars have just the right amount of sweetness to make eating one a treat. Peanut butter and jelly is our favorite flavor; they’re also available in chocolate chip cookie, apple pie, and fruit punch. ($6 for 5 1.5-oz. bars; amazon.com) 130 Calories, 6g Fat, 3g Fiber, 3g Pro.
4. Simple Mills Toasted Pecan Crunchy Cookies: Cookies on a healthy-snacks list? Yes, when they’re made with (gluten-free) gut-healthy prebiotic tiger nut flour, contain four grams of sugar per serving (three cookies!), and have no preservatives or other iffy ingredients getting in the way of their deliciousness. ($5 for 5.5 oz.; amazon.com) 120 Calories, 7g Fat, 0g Fiber, 1g Pro.
5. Health Warrior Chia Bar: If you like your chia in convenient bar form, these are for you. They slip into the smallest handbag; are vegan, gluten-free, soy-free, and rich in omega-3s and fiber; and come in flavors including mango, vanilla almond, acai berry, and dark chocolate. ($16 for a 15-bar box; amazon.com) 100 Calories, 5g Fat, 4g Fiber, 3g Pro.
The best crunchy snacks
1. Niloofar Persian Trail Mix: We want to call this mix—made with almonds, cashews, walnuts, dried figs, mulberries, and golden berries—by its traditional Persian moniker, ajil; the ho-hum name “trail mix” just doesn’t do it justice. ($11 for 8 oz.; niloofarmix.com) Per 1⁄4 cup: 118 Calories, 7g Fat, 2g Fiber, 3g Pro.
2. Siete Grain Free Tortilla Chips: Get ready to enjoy your chips and salsa without feeling weighed down by poor-quality oil or empty carbs. These super-crisp gluten- and dairy-free chips, made with cassava flour, have a satisfying crunch that also makes for tasty nachos. ($5 for 5 oz.; luckyvitamin.com) Per 9 chips: 140 Calories, 7g Fat, 2g Fiber, 1g Pro.
3. Lesser Evil Buddha Bowl Popcorn: All popcorn is not created equal. This pick stands out for its top-quality ingredients: organic popcorn, organic coconut oil, and mineral-rich Himalayan salt. You’ll want to sneak it into the movie theater. ($3.50 for 5 oz.; amazon.com) Per 3 cups: 110 Calories, 5g Fat, 4g Fiber, 2g Pro.
4. Larabar Nut + Seed Bar: Made simply with nuts, sprouted chia seeds, spices, and coconut oil, these gluten-free bars bring the crunch, plus healthy fats and fiber to keep you full until mealtime. ($1.50 for a 1.24-oz. bar; jet.com) 200 Calories, 16g Fat, 4g Fiber, 5g Pro.