We asked runners to share their favorite pair of leggings to run in. Here’s what they recommend.
Whether you’re an avid marathoner or a casual jogger who likes to pound the pavement from time to time, the last thing any runner wants to deal with is uncomfortable or ill-fitting workout clothes that throw you off your pace—after all, running is hard enough as it is. That’s why it’s so important to do your research ahead of time and choose the right running apparel that’ll fit seamlessly on your body and never distract you from your workout. So to help you find the best running leggings for women, we tapped a few hard-core runners to hear their favorites.
These are the 14 best running leggings to shop this year, according to women who run every day:
- Best for Cold Weather: Under Armour Women’s ColdGear Authentic Leggings
- Best High-Waisted: Asics High-Waist Tights
- Most Comfortable: Nike Pro Women’s Tights
- Best for Recovery: 2XU Women's Elite MCS Compression Tights
- Best Waistband: Lululemon Fast and Free High-Rise Tight 28"
- Best Sweat-Wicking: Nike Epic Lux Running Tight
- Best Sculpting: Sweaty Betty Power Workout Leggings
- Best With Pockets: Athleta Rainier Tight
- Best Budget: Old Navy High-Waisted Elevate Built-In Sculpt 7/8 Compression Leggings
- Best for Shorter Legs: New Balance Impact Running Tights
- Best for Long Legs: Lululemon Wunder Under High-Rise Tight 28"
- Best Sustainable: Brooks Greenlight 7/8 Essential Tight
- Most Reviewed: The Gym People High-Waist Yoga Pants
- Best Capris: Lululemon Pace Rival High-Rise Crop 22"
When it comes to women’s running leggings, there are a few key features to consider. Since running tends to include lots of sweating, you’ll want to choose a pair made with moisture-wicking fabric that won’t trap sweat and leave you feeling drenched (regardless of the season). Mesh panels are another addition you can look for that’ll add even more breathability to the leggings. If you’re an outdoor runner, you should also consider fabric thickness. Opt for winter-ready leggings that are thermal or fleece-lined, like Under Armour’s ColdGear Authentic Women’s Leggings, for added warmth during the colder months, and go with lightweight and thinner fabrics in the summer, like Nike’s Pro Fit tights.
Another important factor to look for is comfort. Choose options that have four-way stretch for optimal freedom of movement and a snug (but comfortable) fit that’ll stay in place no matter what—because there’s nothing more frustrating than having to pause your run to pull up sagging pants. Aside from fit and material, many running leggings boast other crucial features—like convenient inner pockets for storing your keys, credit card, or phone during a run—and reflective stripes for safety during nighttime or early morning runs when it’s dark out.
RELATED: The Best Black Leggings for Women
You’ll find the recommendations from 13 runners, below, that cover a wide variety of options—so whether you’re looking for a high-waisted fit that’ll never fall down or the best compression leggings for injury recovery, you’ll find something that works for you here. With any of these picks, you’ll never have to worry about bothersome leggings distracting you from getting in a great run.