Try one of these popular SAD lamps for quick relief from winter and work-from-home blues.
Light therapy is one of the go-to treatments for seasonal affective disorder (SAD)—a type of seasonal mood disorder that leaves people feeling lonely, depressed, or isolated and typically strikes during the cold, dark winter months. Studies suggest that exposure to bright light from a special lamp or light box can help make up for the sunlight you’re not getting naturally when the days are shorter or you’re stuck inside.
Light therapy devices are brighter than your average lamp; they should deliver light at 10,000 lux (about 20 times greater than regular indoor lighting), according to the National Institute for Mental Health.
RELATED: The Best Wake-Up Light Alarm Clocks
Not only will soaking up their artificial rays for about 20 to 60 minutes potentially help ease symptoms of SAD, but it can also create a better environment for working from home. Many homes lack the large, unobstructed windows seen in offices, but these tiny boxes will ensure your space replicates those bright, sun-drenched spaces for a less drowsy ambiance.
Considering investing in a light box? Here are 10 you can buy on Amazon that earned five-star reviews from at least half of shoppers.
- Best Overall: Verilux HappyLight Liberty
- Best Adjustable: Aura Day Light Lamp
- Best Compact: Verilux HappyLight Touch
- Best Design: Circadian Optics Lumos 2.0
- Most Powerful: Alaska Northern Lights Northstar 10,000
- Best Glare-Free: Carex Day-Light Classic Plus Bright Light Therapy Lamp
- Best White Light: Circadian Optics Lampu Light Therapy Lamp
- Best Yellow Light: Vearmoad UV-Free Therapy Lamp
- Best Budget: Miroco Light Therapy Lamp
- Best Alarm: Philips SmartSleep Wake-Up Light Therapy Lamp