A Celebrity Stylist Shows You How to Recreate This ’90s Inspired Hairstyle Worn by Top Supermodels
This look is all that and a bag of chips.
Welcome to Beauty Scoop, a new Health video series where beauty experts share their top tips for looking and feeling their best. Watch Laura Polko’s Beauty Scoop above!
As far as beauty trends go, the '90s are back in full swing—and this flirty, half-up half-down flip hairstyle sported by top supermodels and celebs like Kim Kardashian is the perfect example. If you need inspiration for your next Halloween look or even a cute look for a Zoom date, celebrity stylist Laura Polko (she's worked with Chrissy Teigen and the Hadid sisters) has you covered with this simple tutorial.
Here's what you'll need to recreate the look, ideal for medium-length hair:
- A sectioning comb, which is key to this style, according to Polko
- 4 sectioning clips to separate your hair parts
- Sun Bum Heat Protector ($15; amazon.com) to prevent heat damage
- T3 Lucea ID Smart Flat Iron ($235; dermstore.com) to create the perfect flip and smoothed front bang
- Scunci Clear Elastics ($6; amazon.com) for a seamless ponytail
- Sun Bum Sonny's Original Surf Paste ($15; amazon.com) to smooth and tame flyaways
- Kevin Murphy Bedroom Hairspray ($45; amazon.com) for long-lasting hold
Why a flat iron rather than a curling iron? "It's so much easier to use a flat iron," Polko tells Health. "Some people prefer to use a curling iron, and you can certainly use that, but be super aware that you don't want to get clamp marks."
With Polko's signature flip of her wrist, she creates a lovely, flirty flip that would make your favorite '90s movie heroine jealous. Watch the full video above for enviable hair this Halloween and beyond.
To get our top stories delivered to your inbox, sign up for the Healthy Living newsletter