The 11 Best Anti-Aging Night Creams, According to Dermatologists
Sunspots, wrinkles, and fine lines are an inevitable part of getting older. "Every day of our lives, we're making and breaking down collagen thanks to an enzyme in the skin called collagenase," says New York City-based dermatologist Debra Jaliman, MD. "But as we age, we break down more collagen than we make, and that's one of the reasons we get wrinkles."
Still, you can hold onto your smooth, supple skin far beyond your twenties. Anti-aging products work against wrinkles, even out the skin's color and texture, unclog pores, and reduce the appearance of fine lines using ingredients like retinol, alpha hydroxy acids (AHAs), beta hydroxy acids (BHAs), and other exfoliants. When used in a night cream, they target your skin during its regeneration period and stimulate cell renewal, which in turn, encourages the production of collagen. Some are enriched with humectants like hyaluronic acid to reverse dryness so you can wake up with a dewy and more supple-looking complexion. And when used in a nighttime moisturizer or treatment, your skin has a better chance to repair itself while you sleep. Dr. Jaliman adds that active ingredients work particularly well at night because your body has the chance to shut down and rest: "You also don't have makeup or sunscreen on, so you can put on an anti-aging product and it will absorb well."
Ready to turn back time? Here are the best anti-aging night creams that actually work, according to skin experts.
The best anti-aging night creams you can buy, according to dermatologists
- Best Overall: Estēe Lauder Revitalizing Supreme+ Moisturizer Global Anti-Aging Cell Power Creme
- Best With Retinol: RoC Deep Wrinkle Night Cream
- Best for Oily Skin: Aveeno Active Naturals Absolutely Ageless Intensive Renewal Serum
- Best for Dark Spots: Vichy LiftActiv Supreme Night Cream
- Best With Hyaluronic Acid: Vichy Aqualia Thermal Night Spa Hydrating Night Cream
- Best for Dry Skin: Neocutis Bio Cream Firm Riche Skin Smoothing and Tightening Cream
- Best for Acne-Prone Skin: Alastin Ultra Light Moisturizer
- Best for Sensitive Skin: SkinMedica TNS Ceramide Treatment Cream
- Best for Plumping: SkinMedica HA5 Rejuvenating Hydrator
- Best for Mature Skin: Jan Marini Age Intervention Face Cream
- Best With Peptides: Jan Marini Age Intervention Peptide Extreme Lotion
Before you dive into your new night cream, there are a couple of things you should know. "Anti-aging creams with retinol and alpha hydroxy acids are typically used at night because they can make you sensitive to the sun," explains Geeta Shah, MD, a Maryland dermatologist. Depending on the potency of the active ingredients in your chosen night cream, you may notice some irritation and dryness due to their strength, which is why it's best to start out slow when introducing new products into your regimen and building up your skin's tolerance gradually.
Below, explore the top-rated night creams that come recommended by the pros for every skin concern.