15 Ways to Be a Natural Beauty
Be a natural beauty
Fusing standard French braids with a half-up, half-down bun, this braided half bun is edgy yet soft.
• For a radiant complexion slice a few grapes in half and rub the cut sides over clean skin. â€œThe fruit acids are natural exfoliators,â€ explains Regine Berthelot, head aesthetician at the Caudalie Vinotherapie Spa at The Plaza in New York City.
• Wake up tired, puffy eyes with a chilled eye cream (store yours in the fridge). Apply it from the outer corners of your eyes toward your nose. â€œThis helps drain excess fluid in the area,â€ says Annet King, director of global education at Dermalogica.
• Zap blemishes with two ingredients homeopaths have used for centuries: anti-inflammatory arnica and antibacterial tea tree oil. Find them in Nelsons Pure & Clear Acne Treatment Gel ($13; amazon.com).
Moisturizers and face masks
• Stay protected by applying a moisturizer with black tea extract before sunscreen; studies show the ingredient decreases the effect of UV radiation on skin and may help prevent sunburns. We like Juara Sweet Black Tea & Rice Facial Moisturizer ($42; amazon.com).
• Make a facial mask more effective by applying it in the shower, where steam opens pores so ingredients can penetrate. Smooth SanÃtas Skincare Papaya Pineapple Mask ($24; amazon.com) over your face halfway through your shower, then rinse before you get out.
Bronzed and beautiful
• Get bronzed without the sun—or self-tanners. Mix 1 teaspoon organic sunscreen and a pinch of loose mineral bronzer in your palm, then blend it over your face for an instant (protective!) glow. Try Coola Face SPF 30 ($25; amazon.com) and bareMinerals All-Over Face Color ($19; sephora.com).
• To firm your jaw, neck, and throat, yoga expert and instructor Annelise Hagen suggests doing this â€œKiss the Ceilingâ€ move every day: slowly tilt your head back, pucker up, and try to kiss the ceiling; repeat 4 times.
• Treat your parched strands to a hydrating mask with all-natural olive oil. Try paraben-free, silicone-free L'Oréal Professionnel Série Nature Masque aux Huiles ($12; amazon.com).
• Preserve your hair color by avoiding shampoos that contain sulfates. â€œThey're a form of detergent that can fade color or make it brassy,â€ according to cosmetic chemist Alec Batis. Try Back to Basics Blue Lavender Color Protecting Shampoo ($16; amazon.com).
• Make curls soft and touchable by raking a palmful of TRESemmé Naturals Lightweight Mousse** with organic orange extracts throughout damp hair. Let tendrils air-dry without touching them for a frizz-free finish, suggests Mara Roszak, an L.A.â€“based celebrity stylist.
• Create tousled waves with this trick from stylist John Masters: dissolve 1 tablespoon sea salt in a spray bottle filled with 8 ounces warm spring water, then add 10 drops of organic lavender oil; shake well, then spritz on damp hair and let it air-dry.
**This product is no longer available. Try Suave Professionals Captivating Curls Mousse ($8; amazon.com instead.
Strong and sleek
• Add shine by distributing a few drops of Josie Maran Argan Oil Hair Serum ($30; sephora.com) throughout damp hair. The star ingredient, organic argan oil, makes strands glossy but wonâ€™t weigh them down.
• Prevent breakage in chemically treated hair by applying a rich, protective styling cream before you use hot tools. One to try: SoftSheen-Carson Roots of Nature Strengthening Oil Moisturizer ($5; amazon.com), which contains green tea and shea butter.
No more frizz
• Fight frizz with alcohol-free moisturizing stylers like Aveeno Nourish+ Style Soft-Hold Gel-Crème ($15; soap.com). "Well-hydrated hair can't take in additional moisture from the air, so it doesn't frizz," says stylist Dickey, founder of Hair Rules.
• Strengthen hair with a mayo mask (its cholesterol plumps the cuticle, Rusk stylist Sean James says): comb 1/2 cup mayo through wet hair, wait 15 minutes, and rinse with cool water; shampoo as usual.
Click here for eco-style
: All the beauty loot sold here—including products from Revolution Organics and Dr. Bronner’s—contains organic ingredients and is free of potentially toxic synthetic ingredients.
SpiritBeautyLounge.com: Shop for organic fragrances, vegan-friendly skin care, and more at this carbon-neutral site that gives a portion of all sales to environmental charities.