Nearly 1 million people in the U.S. have an inflammatory bowel disease, and half have a type known as ulcerative colitis. Ulcerative colitis can cause severe bouts of diarrhea, crampy abdominal pain, and other symptoms, possibly caused by an abnormal immune response that damages the lining of the colon and rectum.
Editors' Pick: Ulcerative Colitis
Ulcerative Colitis News
FRIDAY, Sept. 28 (HealthDay News) — Humira (adalimumab) has been approved by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to treat moderate-to-severe ulcerative colitis in adults, the agency said Friday. Humira — a type of drug called an anti-tumor necrosis factor that’s designed to suppress abnormal inflammatory and immune responses — has already been approved to treat [...][...]
By Julia VanTineHealthDay Reporter WEDNESDAY, Dec. 1 (HealthDay News) — The case of a man who swallowed parasite eggs to treat his ulcerative colitis — and actually got better — sheds light on how “worm therapy” might help heal the gut, a new study suggests. “Our findings in this case report suggest that infection with the eggs [...][...]
FRIDAY, July 16 (HealthDay News) — Getting tested for inflammatory bowel disease through an endoscopy isn’t a pleasant experience, but a new review of existing research suggests that a simple stool test may help doctors figure out who needs the more extensive screening. Inflammatory bowel disease refers to a number of conditions — including Crohn’s [...][...]
Researchers have succeeded in sequencing 3.3 million genes from organisms residing in the human gut.
A protein that plays a key role in protecting the intestinal tract from bacterial infection and inflammation has been identified by U.S. researchers.
- Symptoms and Treatments
- Ulcerative Colitis? Try These Dessert Recipes Choosing the right foods can help control symptoms, which include crampy abdominal pain and severe diarrhea. It can take trial and error to find the food that works best for you, but these low-fiber, nondairy recipes may help.
- 14 Foods to Avoid If You Have Ulcerative Colitis
- 13 Surprising Causes of Constipation
- Read more
- Living With Ulcerative Colitis
- 8 Tips for Coping With Ulcerative Colitis Day-to-day life with ulcerative colitis (UC) can be a major challenge. This inflammatory bowel disease affects the digestive tract, and during flare-ups can cause abdominal pain, fever, and weight loss.
- Ulcerative Colitis Made My Teen and College Years a Nightmare
- 8 Websites for People With Inflammatory Bowel Disease
- Read more