Farro-and-White-Bean-Stuffed Acorn Squash
- 1 cup uncooked whole-grain (not pearled) farro, such as Bob’s Red Mill
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup dried cherries, chopped
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped yellow onion (from about 1/2 large onion)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery (from about 2 small ribs)
- 1/2 cup finely chopped carrot (from about 1 large carrot)
- 1 tablespoons chopped fresh sage
- 1 15- to 16-oz. can no-saltadded cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
- 1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts, toasted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 medium acorn squash (about 1½ lb. each)
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, melted
1. Rinse farro under cold running water. Combine farro and water in a medium saucepan; bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring occasionally, until farro is tender, about 30 minutes. Stir in cherries after 27 minutes of cooking time. Drain cooked farro mixture.
2. Heat oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add onion, celery and carrot; cook, stirring often, until tender and beginning to brown, 10 to 12 minutes. Add sage; cook, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Remove from heat and stir in farro mixture, beans, hazelnuts, ¾ teaspoon of the salt and ½ teaspoon of the pepper.
3. Cut each squash in half lengthwise; scoop out and discard seeds. Place squash cut-side up on a large rimmed baking sheet. (Trim bottoms, if necessary, so squash will sit flat.) Brush insides of squash with 2 tablespoons of the butter; sprinkle with remaining ¾ teaspoon salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Bake until tender, about 45 minutes.
4. Spoon farro mixture evenly into squash halves, pressing lightly and mounding in the center. Drizzle farro with remaining 2 tablespoons butter. Return to oven and bake until filling is lightly browned, 10 to 15 minutes.
- Yield: 6 servings
|Calories per serving:||527|
|Fat per serving:||20g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||20mg|
|Fiber per serving:||15g|
|Protein per serving:||13g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||78g|
|Sodium per serving:||529mg|
|Iron per serving:||5mg|
|Calcium per serving:||165mg|