Cauliflower "Grits" with Tomato-Mushroom Gravy
Jennifer Causey; Food Styling: Chelsea Zimmer; Prop Styling: Mindi Shapiro
- 3 cups cauliflower florets (from 1 2-lb. head)
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons fine yellow cornmeal
- 4 ounces Cheddar cheese, shredded (about 1 cup)
- 1 pint grape tomatoes
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms, sliced
- 3/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons hot brewed coffee
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
1. Preheat broiler with oven rack 6 inches from heat. Process cauliflower florets in a food processor until finely chopped.
2. Bring 1 1/2 cups of the broth to a boil in a large saucepan over high heat. Whisk in cauliflower and cornmeal. Reduce heat to medium. Cook, whisking often, until thickened, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in Cheddar.
3. Place tomatoes in an ovenproof skillet; mist with cooking spray. Broil, stirring after 2 minutes, until skins are blistered and tomatoes pop, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a small bowl.
4. Melt butter in same skillet over high heat. Add mushrooms, salt, and pepper; cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 6 to 7 minutes. Add tomatoes, coffee, and 1 3/8 cups of the remaining broth. Simmer until liquid is reduced by half, about 4 minutes. Stir together cornstarch and remaining 2 tablespoons broth. Add to mushroom mixture. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture thickens, about 1 minute. Remove from heat; add scallions. Divide cauliflower mixture among 4 shallow bowls. Top with mushroom mixture.
- Yield: 4
|Calories per serving:||267|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||10g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||44mg|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Protein per serving:||15g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||17mg|
|Sodium per serving:||631mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Calcium per serving:||233mg|