Butternut Squash-Kale Hash
Jennifer Causey; Food Styling: Chelsea Zimmer; Prop Styling: Mindi Shapiro
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups sliced sweet onion (from 1 medium onion)
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups thinly sliced lacinato kale (from 1 bunch kale)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1-lb.-10-oz. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and grated (about 3 cups)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 4 large eggs
1. Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons of the butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion; cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, about 3 minutes. Reduce heat to medium; cook, stirring often, until onion is caramelized, about 10 minutes; add garlic in final 2 minutes. Add kale, salt, and pepper. Cook, stirring, until kale has wilted, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate.
2. Increase heat to medium-high. Add remaining 1 1/2 tablespoons butter to skillet; cook until lightly browned, about 1 minute. Add squash and nutmeg; spread in a thin, even layer. Cook, without stirring, until deeply browned on bottom, about 5 minutes. Gently stir; cook, without stirring, for 1 minute. Gently stir in onion mixture; remove from heat.
3. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat. Break eggs into skillet; cook for 3 minutes for sunny-side up or to desired doneness.
4. Divide hash among 4 plates. Top with eggs.
- Yield: 4
|Calories per serving:||282|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||209mg|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Protein per serving:||9g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||26g|
|Sodium per serving:||569mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Calcium per serving:||139mg|