Beet Pasta with Beet Greens and Goat Cheese
- 2 pounds beets, peeled and trimmed
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 plump cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chopped fresh rosemary
- 1/2-1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves (or 1/2 tsp. dried)
- 1 pound stemmed beet greens or spinach, washed thoroughly twice and coarsely chopped (8 tightly packed cups)
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 4 ounces soft goat cheese, crumbled
1. Spiralize beets using shredder blade. Take handfuls of spiralized beets and cut long strands into manageable lengths with scissors.
2. Bring 1 inch water to a boil in a large pot. Place beets in a steamer basket, set over water, cover tightly and steam until al dente, about 10 minutes. Noodles should be cooked through and flexible but not mushy.
3. Meanwhile, heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, rosemary, and thyme. Cook, stirring, until garlic is fragrant, 30 seconds to 1 minute. Working with a handful at a time, add greens, which should still be wet from washing. As each handful begins to collapse, add another handful, and when all greens have been added, season with salt and cook, stirring, until wilted and tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Add pepper; taste and adjust seasoning.
4. When beet pasta is ready, transfer to a large bowl and toss with remaining 1 tablespoon oil and season with salt. Stir half of goat cheese into wilted greens and heat until cheese has melted. Distribute beet pasta among 4 plates or pile onto a platter. Top with greens. Sprinkle on remaining goat cheese and serve.
- Yield: 4
|Calories per serving:||291|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||13mg|
|Fiber per serving:||11g|
|Protein per serving:||12g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||27g|
|Sodium per serving:||709mg|
|Iron per serving:||5mg|
|Calcium per serving:||215mg|