Quinoa and Chickpea Burgers
- 1/2 cup white quinoa
- 1 cup low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 small slices whole-wheat bread
- 1 14-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 small red chile
- Salt and freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 small whole-wheat pitas, for serving
- Salad greens, sliced avocado, sliced tomato and mayonnaise or yogurt, for serving, optional
1. In a saucepan, bring quinoa and broth to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover, reduce heat to low and cook until all broth has been absorbed, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
2. In a food processor, process bread until fine bread crumbs form. Add chickpeas, quinoa, egg, cilantro, cumin, chile, salt and pepper and process in short bursts until mixture is finely chopped. Shape mixture into 4 patties. Brush patties with oil and cook in a nonstick frying pan over medium-high heat until golden, about 4 minutes per side.
3. Serve patties with pitas and, if desired, greens, avocado, tomato and mayonnaise or yogurt.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Serves: 4
|Calories per serving:||345|
|Fat per serving:||9g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||14g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||53g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||47mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||410mg|
|Calcium per serving:||72mg|
Good to Know
Swap out your usual beef burgers with this quinoa and chickpea version for a meatless meal your whole family will enjoy.