Whole Fish with Chermoula
- 1 tablespoon cumin seeds
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Kosher salt
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- 1 large hot chile, such as jalapeño, finely chopped
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 whole red snappers (about 1 1/4 lb. each), scales removed
- 1 lime, thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1. Preheat grill to medium-high. In a mortar and pestle or spice grinder, smash cumin, paprika, 1 tsp. salt, garlic and chile until whole spices are cracked and garlic and chile are mashed. Stir in 2 Tbsp. oil. Place fish on a baking sheet; with a paring knife, make a few shallow slits in outside of flesh. Set 1 Tbsp. spice paste aside and rub fish all over with remaining paste. Stuff fish with lime slices.
2. Oil grill grates. Brush fish with 1 Tbsp. oil, place on grill and close cover. Grill, turning once, until flesh flakes easily when pierced and skin is charred and crisp, about 8 minutes per side. Transfer to a serving platter and let rest.
3. In a bowl, stir reserved spice paste with lime juice, parsley, cilantro, 1 Tbsp. water and remaining 2 Tbsp. oil. Spoon herb sauce over fish and serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Serves: 4
|Calories per serving:||383|
|Fat per serving:||20g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||45g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||3g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||81mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||626mg|
|Calcium per serving:||98mg|
Good to Know
Marinating whole fish with herbs and spices before grilling gives this dish an added boost of fantastic flavor without extra fat or calories.