- 8 6-inch corn tortillas
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped garlic
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 pounds firm tofu
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and chopped, optional
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 limes, 1 halved and 1 quartered
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro, for garnish
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, for garnish
1. Heat oven to 400°F. Stack tortillas on a large square of foil and wrap them loosely.
2. In a large skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sprinkle with 1 tsp. salt and 1/2 tsp. pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables soften, 3 to 5 minutes.
3. Crumble tofu into skillet with your hands. Cook, stirring and scraping bottom of skillet occasionally and adjusting heat as necessary, until tofu browns and crisps as much as you like, 10 to 30 minutes. When tofu is almost ready, put tortillas in oven.
4. Add bell pepper to skillet, if desired. Sprinkle mixture with chili powder; stir and cook, scraping any browned bits from bottom of skillet, until mixture is fragrant, less than 1 minute. Squeeze halved lime over mixture and garnish with cilantro and scallions. Serve with tortillas and lime quarters.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Serves: 4
|Calories per serving:||317|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||18g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||627mg|
|Calcium per serving:||366mg|
Good to Know
These faux chorizo tacos will fool more than one of your friends. The chili powder mimics the spices of the original Spanish sausage to render a meat-like dish that is rich in protein. Plus, the red bell pepper and limes adds vitamin C to the mix.