Mediterranean Pasta Salad With Whole-Wheat Pasta
- 3 cups chopped zucchini
- 4 cups packed fresh baby spinach
- 2 cups cooked whole-wheat pasta (preferably a short shape, such as penne)
- 1 15-oz. can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 6.5-oz. jar marinated quartered artichoke hearts, not drained
- 1 2.5-oz. can sliced black olives, drained
- 1 large tomato, chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh goat cheese
1. Place zucchini in a bowl. Add 1/4 cup water, cover (leaving it slightly open to vent steam) and microwave on high until tender, 4 to 5 minutes. Uncover, drain and let cool.
2. Divide spinach among 4 bowls. Microwave each, uncovered, for 1 minute on high to wilt, if desired.
3. In a bowl, toss pasta, chickpeas, artichoke hearts with marinade, olives, tomato, basil and oregano. Toss in zucchini. In a separate bowl, whisk oil, vinegar and mustard. Season with salt and pepper. Toss with pasta mixture.
4. Divide mixture among bowls with spinach. Top with cheese and serve.
- Prep Time:
- Yield: Serves: 4
|Calories per serving:||335|
|Fat per serving:||15g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||12g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||43g|
|Fiber per serving:||10g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||3mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||691mg|
|Calcium per serving:||102mg|
Good to Know
This salad gives a boost of protein, iron and fiber, which will keep you full and satisfied all afternoon. No microwave? Steam spinach for 2 to 4 minutes to wilt.