Shrimp and Grits
- 1 cup whole milk
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup yellow whole-grain cornmeal
- 2 strips bacon
- 2 red and/or orange bell peppers, seeded and sliced
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 teaspoon hot cayenne pepper sauce
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan
1. Make grits: In a large pan, bring milk, 3 cups water and 1/4 teaspoon salt to a boil. Add cornmeal in a steady stream, whisking, until no lumps are visible. Cover, reduce heat to low and simmer, stirring and scraping pan every 10 minutes, until tender, 35 minutes. Uncover; cook 5 minutes longer, stirring.
2. While grits cook, fry bacon in a large skillet over medium heat, turning, until crisp, 5 to 6 minutes. Drain on paper towels. Let cool; crumble.
3. Add bell peppers, white parts of scallions, 1/8 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper to skillet with bacon fat. Sauté until bell peppers are crisp-tender, 7 minutes. Stir in shrimp, pepper sauce and 1/2 cup water. Sauté until shrimp turn almost opaque, 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
4. Remove grits from heat; stir in cheese. Divide among 4 bowls; top with shrimp mixture. Garnish with bacon and scallion greens.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Serves: 4
|Calories per serving:||292|
|Fat per serving:||8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||24g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||32g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||158mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||1100mg|
|Calcium per serving:||197mg|