- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 8 tablespoons (1 stick) cold unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup plus 2 Tbsp. orange juice
- 1 cup dried Mission figs, stemmed
- 1 cup pitted Medjool dates
- 2 tablespoons honey
1. In a food processor, pulse flour, sugar, salt and half of cinnamon until mixed. Pulse in butter until coarse crumbs form. Pulse in egg and 2 Tbsp. juice until dough forms a ball.
2. Divide dough in half; pat into 2 4 1/2-inch-wide disks. Wrap disks in plastic wrap; chill for 1 hour.
3. In processor, puree figs, dates, honey and remaining juice and cinnamon until smooth paste forms. Transfer to a bowl; cover.
4. Unwrap 1 dough disk. Place between sheets of plastic wrap and roll out into an 8-by-10-inch rectangle, about 1/8 inch thick. Trim edges. Remove top sheet; spread half of filling over dough, leaving a 1/4-inch border. Starting with a short side, using plastic as an aid, roll up into a log. Wrap in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, at least 2 hours and up to 1 week. Repeat with remaining dough and filling.
5. Place racks in top and bottom thirds of oven; preheat to 350ºF. Line 2 large baking sheets with parchment. With a serrated knife, cut 1 log into 1/3-inch-thick slices. Place on sheets, 1 inch apart. Bake, switching sheets halfway through, until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes. Let cool for 2 minutes; transfer to wire racks to cool completely. Repeat with remaining log.
- Prep Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Yield: About 45 (serving size: 1 cookie)
|Calories per serving:||71|
|Fat per serving:||2g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||1g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||13g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||10mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||54mg|
|Calcium per serving:||14mg|