Pulled Chicken Sandwiches
- 2 tablespoons smoked sweet paprika
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons packed dark brown sugar
- Salt and pepper
- 8 bone-in chicken thighs (about 3 lb. total), skin removed
- 3/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 4 cups finely sliced red cabbage
- 16 whole-wheat hamburger buns, lightly toasted
1. In a bowl, mix paprika, mustard, 2 Tbsp. brown sugar and 1 tsp. each salt and pepper. Add chicken and rub with spices to coat. Transfer to a slow cooker or cover and chill up to 8 hours to marinate.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk vinegar, ketchup, cayenne, remaining brown sugar and 1 tsp. each salt and pepper. Reserve 1/4 cup; cover and chill. Pour remaining sauce over chicken. Cover and cook on low until tender, 4 to 5 hours.
3. Toss reserved sauce with cabbage; cover and chill. Transfer chicken to a cutting board and let cool slightly. Discard bones and shred meat; transfer to a bowl. Carefully pour sauce from slow cooker into a fat separator. Pour skimmed sauce over meat; discard fat.
4. Divide meat among bun bottoms. Top with cabbage mixture and bun tops.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Yield: 16 sandwiches (serving size: 1/3 cup meat, 1/4 cup slaw, 1 bun)
|Calories per serving:||246|
|Fat per serving:||6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||21g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||81mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||627mg|
|Calcium per serving:||70mg|