Squash and Molasses Pie
- 1 1 1/2-lb. squash (such as butternut, pumpkin or acorn), peeled, halved lengthwise, seeded, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 9-inch graham cracker crust, homemade or store-bought
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup reduced-fat (2%) milk
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1. Place squash in a steamer basket over 1 inch of boiling salted water in a large pan for 12 to 15 minutes, until tender. Puree in a food processor until smooth. Measure 1 1/2 cups puree for pie; cover and refrigerate any remainder for another use.
2. Prepare pie crust; press into 9-inch pie dish.
3. Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with foil. Place pie dish on baking sheet.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together eggs, molasses, sugar, milk, cinnamon, cloves, salt and pepper until smooth. Whisk in squash puree until combined. Pour filling evenly into pie crust.
5. Bake pie until filling is set and slightly puffed in the center, 45 to 55 minutes. Let pie cool completely on a wire rack. Serve with whipped cream, if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Serves: 10 (serving size: 1/10 of pie)
|Calories per serving:||225|
|Fat per serving:||7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||39g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||38mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||223mg|
|Calcium per serving:||75mg|