Sweet-Spicy Fried Chicken
- 2 tablespoons raw honey
- 3 tablespoons hot cayenne pepper sauce such as Frank's
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-grain medium-grind cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg white
- 12 small drumsticks, skin removed
- Canola oil, for frying
- 1 fresh red chile such as Fresno, red finger or red jalapeño, thinly sliced
1. Whisk honey and 2 Tbsp. hot sauce.
2. In a dish, mix flour, cornmeal, spices and salt. In a bowl, whisk egg white until soft peaks form. Fold in remaining 1 Tbsp. hot sauce. Coat chicken with egg mixture; dredge in flour mixture. Place on a baking sheet.
3. Set a wire rack over a baking sheet. Fill a cast-iron skillet with 1/2 inch oil (about 1 1/2 cups); attach a deep-fry thermometer to the side. Warm oil over medium heat until it reaches 360ºF, about 25 minutes. Add 6 drumsticks; cook, turning occasionally and adjusting heat to keep oil at 325ºF, until a meat thermometer inserted into drumstick registers 165ºF and chicken is browned, 10 to 12 minutes. Let drumsticks drain on wire rack. Return oil to 360ºF and repeat with remaining chicken.
4. Just before serving, drizzle fried chicken with honey mixture and sprinkle with chile.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Serves: 6 (serving size: 2 drumsticks, 2 tsp. sauce, 1/2 tsp. chile)
|Calories per serving:||369|
|Fat per serving:||17g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||38g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||15g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||170mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||656mg|
|Calcium per serving:||24mg|