Chocolate Olive Oil Cake
- 2/3 cup regular olive oil, plus more for greasing cake pan
- 6 tablespoons good-quality unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup boiling water
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups almond meal or 3/4 cup plus 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- Pinch of salt
- 1 cup superfine sugar
- 3 large eggs
1. Preheat oven to 325°F. Grease a 9-inch springform cake pan with a little oil and line base of pan with parchment paper.
2. Sift cocoa powder into a bowl and whisk in boiling water until you have a smooth, chocolaty, still runny (but only just) paste. Whisk in vanilla extract and set aside to let cool.
3. In a small bowl, combine almond meal (or flour) with baking soda and a pinch of salt.
4. Put sugar, olive oil and eggs into bowl of a freestanding mixer with a paddle attachment (or use other bowl and whisk). Beat vigorously until mixture is pale-primrose, aerated, thickened and creamy, about 3 minutes.
5. Turn down mixer speed a little and beat in cocoa mixture. Slowly add almond-meal mixture.
6. Turn off mixer. Scrape down sides of bowl and stir a little with a spatula. Pour batter into prepared cake pan. Bake until sides of cake are set and very center, on top, still looks slightly damp, 40 to 45 minutes. A cake tester should come up mainly clean but with a few sticky chocolate crumbs clinging to it.
7. Let cake cool in its pan on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Ease sides of cake with a small metal spatula and spring cake out of pan. Leave to cool completely or serve warm with ice cream.
"I have a friend who has celiac disease, and he moaned to me that he'd never eat another chocolate cake. So I did this gluten-free recipe for him. It's my go-to dessert right now; it's like a fudgy brownie."
- Yield: Serves: 12
|Calories per serving:||272|
|Fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||0.0g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||0.0g|
|Fiber per serving:||0.0g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||0.0mg|
|Calcium per serving:||0.0mg|
Good to Know
Olive oil makes a cake moist, flavorful, and provides heart-healthy fats.