Roasted Cherries with Cocoa-Mocha Granita
- 12 ounces (about 2 cups) sweet cherries, pitted
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons kirsch
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 cups hot coffee
- 1/4 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1. Place a rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Mist a 9-inch square glass baking dish with cooking spray. Stir cherries, 2 Tbsp. sugar, kirsch and juice in baking dish to combine. Roast until bubbly and juices have thickened, about 15 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and let cool completely.
2. Mix cocoa and 1/4 cup sugar in a bowl. Whisk in coffee until sugar and cocoa have dissolved. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir in milk and extracts; pour into another 9-inch square baking dish. Freeze until completely frozen, about 1 hour, scraping frozen crystals from edge of pan with a fork every 15 minutes.
3. When ready to serve, scrape granita into chilled glasses, breaking up any large pieces with a fork. Top with cherries.
- Prep Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Serves: 4 (serving size: 3/4 cup granita, 1/4 of cherries)
|Calories per serving:||237|
|Fat per serving:||3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||51g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||6mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||29mg|
|Calcium per serving:||81mg|
Good to Know
Cherries are rich in anthocyanins, antioxidant pigments that help fight cancer and cardiovascular disease.