- 2 cups whole-wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 orange
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt
- 2 cups grated carrots
- 2 cups fresh or thawed frozen cranberries, divided
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, finely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 375°F. Line muffin cups with paper liners.
2. In a large bowl, whisk the first 5 ingredients (through salt). In another bowl, grate 1 tsp orange zest and squeeze 1/4 cup juice. Whisk in the sugar, egg whites, oil, and yogurt. Stir into flour mixture just until moistened. Fold in carrots and 1 1/2 cups cranberries.
3. Divide batter among muffin cups. Top with pistachios and remaining cranberries.
4. Bake until a toothpick inserted in a muffin comes out clean (22-25 minutes). Let cool in the pan on a wire rack for 5 minutes. Unmold; cool completely on rack.
Power up your mornings with Sunshine Muffins. This portable sweet treat contains whole grains, yogurt, nuts, fresh fruit, and even veggies.
- Yield: Makes: 12 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)
|Calories per serving:||206|
|Fat per serving:||6.3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4.2g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.8g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||34g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||126mg|
|Calcium per serving:||339mg|
Good to Know
This muffin is the perfect breakfast or snack to energize your body. Each muffin is packed with 5 grams of fiber, one-third your recommended daily intake of calcium, protein, vitamin B6, and antioxidants.