Steamed Fish with Ratatouille
- 1 large zucchini
- 2 small eggplants
- 1 medium red bell pepper, cored
- 2 medium tomatoes, cored
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided, and more as needed
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 large onion, chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 cup Niçoise or kalamata olives, pitted (optional)
- 4 thick fish fillets or steaks, such as cod (1 1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup roughly chopped fresh basil leaves
1. Trim and cut the zucchini and eggplants into 1-inch chunks. Cut the bell pepper into strips. Roughly chop the tomatoes, reserving their juice.
2. Put 2 TBSP oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat and immediately add the garlic. When it begins to sizzle, add the onion and sprinkle with a pinch of salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the onion begins to soften (3-5 minutes).
3. Add the zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, and another pinch of salt and pepper. Lower the heat a bit to keep the vegetables from burning, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the eggplant is fairly soft (10-15 minutes). Add the tomatoes and their juice, the thyme, and the olives if you're using them; cook, stirring occasionally, until the tomatoes begin to break down (5-10 minutes). Taste and adjust the seasoning.
4. Sprinkle the fish with a pinch of salt and pepper and lay it on top of the vegetables. Adjust the heat so the mixture simmers. Cover and cook until the fish is opaque throughout and a paring knife inserted into the fish at its thickest point meets little resistance. This will take anywhere from 5-12 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
5. Transfer the fish to a platter, then stir the basil into the vegetables. Spoon the vegetables around the fish, drizzle everything with the remaining 1 TBSP olive oil, and serve.
- Total Time: Dinner is ready--thanks to this one-dish meal of Steamed Fish with Ratatouille. The vegetables--zucchini, eggplant, bell pepper, tomatoes, and onion--create a built-in side dish with the steamed fish.
- Yield: Makes: 4 servings (serving size: 1 piece fish, 1 1/4 cups ratatouille)
|Calories per serving:||317|
|Fat per serving:||12.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.8g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7.6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.8g|
|Protein per serving:||34g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||19g|
|Fiber per serving:||8g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||73mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||398mg|
|Calcium per serving:||87mg|
Good to Know
This dish packs enough protein (34 grams) to keep you full, plus the vegetables create a built-in side dish. Get creative with your vegetables by adding or swapping in vitamin D-rich mushrooms or yellow squash, loaded with vitamin C.