Lemon-Cherry Tea Bread
- 1 1/2 cups white whole-wheat flour
- 1/2 cup cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg white
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 1/2 cup unsweetened dried cherries, coarsely chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Grease 8- x 4-inch loaf pan.
2. In bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk buttermilk, oil, egg white, and lemon zest until blended. Add to flour mixture, along with cherries, and stir to mix. Spread in pan.
3. Bake until toothpick inserted into center comes out clean (45-50 minutes). Cool in pan for 10 minutes, then turn out onto a wire rack and cool completely. Cut into 12 slices.
- Prep Time:
- Total Time: Choose a slice of Lemon-Cherry Tea Bread when you're craving something sweet. Cornmeal adds a nutty sweetness--and extra whole grains--to this healthy loaf.
- Yield: Makes: 12 servings (serving size: 1 slice)
|Calories per serving:||149|
|Fat per serving:||3.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||1.7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.3g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||27g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||1mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||167mg|
|Calcium per serving:||79mg|