- 5 ounces black Niçoise olives, pitted
- 1/2 garlic clove
- 1 salted anchovy fillet, boned and rinsed well
- 5 basil leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon capers, drained
- 7 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 thin slices whole-wheat or multigrain baguette, toasted
1. In a blender, combine first 5 ingredients (through capers).
2. With the blender running, add oil; blend until slightly chunky. Divide among toasts.
- Prep Time: Olives and olive oil, two mainstays of the Mediterranean diet, come together in this savory spread. It's traditionally made with a mortar and pestle (pound until smooth), but a blender works just as well--and more quickly. Ducasse recommends Niçoise olives, but kalamatas work well, too.
- Yield: Makes: 8 servings (serving size: 1 topped toast)
|Calories per serving:||160|
|Fat per serving:||15.5g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||11.4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.7g|
|Protein per serving:||1g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||5g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||273mg|
|Calcium per serving:||10mg|
Good to Know
Olives are a good source of heart-healthy monounsaturated fatty acids.