- 1 large (14-oz) bunch kale
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 garlic cloves, chopped
- 3/4 cup lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 ounce grated Parmesan (optional)
1. Strip the kale leaves from the tough stems. Discard the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Rinse well in a colander, leaving the water on the leaves.
2. Heat the oil in a large skillet over low heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, until it's golden and aromatic (3-4 minutes). Transfer the garlic to a dish and reserve.
3. Reheat the oil over medium heat, then add the kale and the broth. Cover and simmer until the kale is tender (3-4 minutes). Season with the salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving platter and top with the garlic and Parmesan, if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Braised Kale is a healthy and tasty choice for a green side. This recipe for Braised Kale also serves as an ingredient to three other recipes-- Braised Kale, Sausage, and Creamy Polenta, Whole-Wheat Pasta with Kale and Roast Chicken, Braised Kale Frittata.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 cup kale)
|Calories per serving:||100|
|Fat per serving:||7.2g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.9g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||8g|
|Fiber per serving:||1g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||252mg|
|Calcium per serving:||93mg|
Good to Know
They don’t call kale a Superfood for no reason: The leafy green contains phytonutrients that some research believes could protect against certain types of cancers.