White Bean Chili
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 3/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 large white onions, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 (4-oz) cans green chilies, rinsed
- 4 (15-oz) cans white beans, rinsed
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon fine cornmeal
1. Heat a 5 1/2- to 6-quart pot over medium high. Add turkey and pepper; cook until brown. Transfer to a bowl.
2. Heat oil in pot over medium. Add onion and garlic; cook until soft (10 minutes). Stir in chilies, cumin, and oregano; cook 1 minute. Add turkey, beans, and broth; cook, covered (1 hour).
3. Whisk cornmeal into milk. Add to chili. Serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Serve with: reduced-fat cheddar, scallions, cilantro, sliced jalapeño, tortilla chips.
- Yield: Makes: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups chili)
|Calories per serving:||456|
|Fat per serving:||12.6g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3.1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.9g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||2.5g|
|Protein per serving:||40g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||47g|
|Fiber per serving:||12g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||82mg|
|Iron per serving:||8mg|
|Sodium per serving:||640mg|
|Calcium per serving:||202mg|
Good to Know
A wintery twist on a classis, this white-bean chili is lower in fat and calories.