- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds mushrooms, sliced
- 2 large onions, halved and sliced (4 cups)
- 2 red bell peppers, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 pounds lean beef chuck, cut into 1 1/2-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup sweet Hungarian paprika
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 2 cups low-sodium beef broth
- 4 teaspoons tomato paste
- 1/3 cup chopped, fresh dill or parsley
1. Heat oil in a 5 1/2- to 6-quart heavy pot over medium. Add mushrooms, onions, pepper, garlic, and salt; cook, covered, stirring occasionally, until soft (15 minutes).
2. Push vegetables aside, add beef, and cook, turning meat occasionally, until brown. Push beef aside. Add paprika, flour, and caraway; cook, stirring (1 minute). Gradually whisk in broth, then tomato paste; bring to a simmer, whisking. Stir vegetables and meat back into sauce.
3. Cover and simmer over low until meat is tender (1 1/2 hours). Stir in dill or parsley. Serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Serve with: egg noodles, reduced-fat sour cream.
- Yield: Makes: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups stew)
|Calories per serving:||339|
|Fat per serving:||20.3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6.2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7.5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||4.3g|
|Protein per serving:||26g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||14g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||86mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||230mg|
|Calcium per serving:||57mg|
Good to Know
Double the recipe and freeze half for last-minute leftovers.