Thai Green Curry
- 8 ounces green beans, trimmed
- 2 medium carrots (10 oz), cut at a diagonal into 1/4-inch thick slices
- 3 tablespoons green curry paste (available in the Asian aisle at most supermarkets)
- 2 (13.5-oz) cans light coconut milk
- 3/4 cup low-sodium chicken broth*
- 1 tablespoon Asian fish sauce* (also available at most supermarkets)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar (preferably dark)
- 1 large sweet potato (about 1 lb), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 pounds skinless boneless chicken breasts, cut into 1/4-inch-thick slices (or firm organic tofu, cut into 1-inch cubes)
- 1 medium zucchini, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/2-inch-thick slices
1. Bring a medium saucepan of water with 1/2 tsp salt to a boil. Blanch green beans and carrots for 2 minutes; drain. Set aside.
2. In a 4- to 5-quart heavy pot, cook curry paste over medium heat, stirring constantly for 1 minute. Whisk in coconut milk, chicken broth, fish sauce, and sugar, and simmer briskly until liquid is reduced by about one-third (10-15 minutes).
3. Add sweet potato to pot and simmer until it begins to soften (5 minutes). Add chicken, if using, bring to a simmer, and cook until no longer pink (5 minutes). Add zucchini, blanched vegetables, and tofu (if using). Continue to cook, covered, until zucchini is just tender (3-5 minutes more). Serve.
*To make this dish vegetarian, substitute vegetable broth and soy sauce for the chicken broth and fish sauce.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Serve with: steamed jasmine or brown rice.
- Yield: Makes: 8 servings (serving size: 1 1/4 cups curry)
|Calories per serving:||276|
|Fat per serving:||10g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||6.6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.8g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.6g|
|Protein per serving:||26g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||20g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||73mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||496mg|
|Calcium per serving:||42mg|
Good to Know
Green curry is a natural anti-inflammatory.