Saucy Cranberry Maple Pudding Cake
- For the filling
- 2 1/2 cups (9 oz) fresh or frozen thawed cranberries
- 1/3 cup plus 1 TBSP maple syrup (grade A or grade B dark amber is fine)
- 1/4 cup water
- For the topping
- 2/3 cup (3 oz) unbleached all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup (1.5 oz) fine or medium-grind cornmeal
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup 1% milk
- 8 tablespoons (4 oz) unsalted butter, melted and still warm
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons Classic Whipped Cream or 1/4 cup vanilla ice cream (optional)
1. Position rack in the center of the oven; preheat to 400°F. Butter a 2-quart, 2-inch deep baking dish or 10-inch glass or ceramic pie plate.
2. To make the filling: Combine cranberries, maple syrup, and water in medium saucepan. Bring to a simmer; cook for 3 minutes. Transfer 1/2 cup of berries, with some juice, to small bowl; set aside. Pour remaining berries and juice into baking dish; heat in oven for about 5 minutes.
3. To make the topping: Whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt in medium bowl. Whisk egg, milk, butter, and vanilla in another medium bowl; add flour mixture and whisk until blended. Remove baking dish from oven and scrape batter over berries (no need to cover completely). Spoon reserved berries and juice randomly over batter. Bake 15-20 minutes until topping is golden brown, feels crusty, and springs back when you press it. Cool pudding for 5 minutes before serving (with desired topping).
4. Optional: Classic Whipped Cream
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Crusty, tender cornmeal cake over juicy, tart cranberries in maple syrup is not quite pudding and not quite cake. Reheat any leftovers in the microwave.
- Yield: Serves 8 (serving size: 1 piece)
|Calories per serving:||239|
|Fat per serving:||13g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||7.9g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||3.4g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.7g|
|Protein per serving:||3g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28g|
|Fiber per serving:||2g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||56mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||269mg|
|Calcium per serving:||65mg|
Good to Know
Not quite pudding, and not quite cake, this crusty and soft dessert utilizes heart-healthy tart cranberries.