Braised Carrots and Parsnips
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 large red onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, smashed
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander seed
- 2 teaspoons salt, plus more to taste
- 8 medium carrots, peeled and cut in large chunks on the bias
- 8 medium parsnips, peeled, woody core removed and cut in large chunks
- 1 large handful parsley leaves, finely chopped
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1. Heat 3 TBSP olive oil in medium pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, stirring occasionally until soft and glistening (6 minutes). Add paprika, half the coriander, and salt; cook until oil turns deep red (about 1 minute). Add carrots, parsnips, and just enough water to cover (about 3 cups).
2. Bring to a simmer and cook until carrots are tender (20 minutes). Remove veggies with slotted spoon; keep cooking liquid until thick and slightly reduced (about 10 minutes more). Season with pepper to taste; return veggies to broth.
3. Heat remaining TBSP oil in small skillet over medium heat. Add rest of coriander and toast for a minute. Stir parsley into yogurt; season with salt and pepper. Transfer to serving bowl; drizzle on flavored coriander oil. Spoon vegetables onto platter with some cooking liquid. Serve with yogurt-coriander sauce.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Prep:15 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups veggies)
|Calories per serving:||280|
|Fat per serving:||10.2g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6.9g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.3g|
|Protein per serving:||5g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||46g|
|Fiber per serving:||10g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||1mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||283mg|
|Calcium per serving:||142mg|
Good to Know
The bright orange color of carrots screams ‘I’m healthy!’, and it’s true as this common orange root veggie boasts carotenoids like beta-carotene, a type of vitamin A that boosts your immune system.