Celery Root Shepherd's Pie
- Mashed Roots
- 3 medium russet potatoes, (about 2 lbs), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 medium celery root (about 2 lbs), peeled and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, plus more for salting the water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3/4 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1/4 cup 2% milk
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Beef and Mushroom Stew
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 8 ounces mixed mushrooms, cleaned and sliced
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh thyme leaves
- 1 pound ground beef or lamb
- 2 large carrots, peeled and finely chopped
- 1 sprig rosemary
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1/2 cup Gruyère or Parmesan cheese
1. Preheat oven to 375° F. Begin mashed vegetables: Place cut potatoes and celery root in large pot; add cold water till covered. Bring to boil, salt generously, cover and simmer until potatoes are easily pierced with fork (10-12 minutes). Drain well; return to pot off the heat to dry.
2. Begin the stew: Heat 1 TBSP oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion, garlic, mushrooms, and thyme; cook, stirring occasionally, until mushrooms are golden and soft (about 8 minutes). Remove and spread along bottom of a 2-quart casserole dish. Heat 1 TBSP oil in the same skillet; add the beef or lamb, carrot, rosemary, and nutmeg; cook until beef is brown and carrot is tender (about 8 minutes). Stir in tomato paste. Layer over mushroom-onion mixture.
3. Finish the mashed veggies: Pass potatoes and celery root through a food mill into a bowl, adding butter as you go. Stir in yogurt and milk for a purée. Season with salt and pepper.
4. Swirl mashed potatoes and celery root over stew with back of a spoon; sprinkle on cheese. Bake until cooked through and cheese is golden brown (15 minutes). Serve warm.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: 1/8 pie)
Good to Know
The russet potatoes in this comfort-food recipe are vitamin and mineral dynamos, as they are packed with niacin and vitamins C and B6.