Sweet Carrot Soup
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 1 garlic clove, smashed
- 1 inch fresh ginger root, peeled and chopped
- 2 pounds organic carrots, peeled and chopped
- 1 sprig fresh thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups fresh carrot juice (or apple or orange juice)
- 1/3 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 2 tablespoons chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds, for garnish, optional
1. Heat 2 TBSP of the olive oil in medium saucepan over medium heat. Add onion; cook until tender (6-8 minutes). Add the garlic and ginger, and cook until fragrant (about 1 minute). Add carrots, thyme, salt and pepper, and enough water to cover, and bring the soup to a boil. Cover loosely and reduce heat to low.
2. Simmer until vegetables are tender (about 30 minutes). Cool slightly. Discard thyme. Purée carrot mixture with an immersion blender until smooth (about 3 minutes). Stir in fresh juice, then reheat soup over a low flame to warm through. Just before serving, taste and adjust salt and pepper; stir in an additional 1-2 TBSP olive oil.
3. Ladle into 4 bowls and garnish each with a dollop of yogurt, a sprinkle of cilantro, and sunflower seeds, if using. Serve warm.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup soup)
|Calories per serving:||143|
|Fat per serving:||7.3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.9g|
|Protein per serving:||2g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||19g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||1mg|
|Iron per serving:||1mg|
|Sodium per serving:||343mg|
|Calcium per serving:||75mg|
Good to Know
Cooking carrots releases carotenoids, making is easier for your body to absorb them as vitamin A.