- 1/2 cup pearl barley
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 zucchini (6 oz), halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 pound tomatoes, cut in chunks
- 2 (14.5-oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup thinly sliced basil, divided
- 1/2 ounce shaved Parmesan cheese
1. Boil barley in a large pot of water until tender but still chewy (40 minutes). Drain.
2. Meanwhile, in large pot, heat oil over medium heat. Add zucchini and garlic; cook until zucchini begins to soften (2 minutes). Add tomatoes, broth, salt, and 1/2 cup basil; bring to a boil. Boil until the tomatoes have softened (7 minutes).
3. Divide the soup among 4 bowls. Add barley and remaining 1/4 cup basil; top with Parmesan, and serve.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/3 cups soup, 1/2 cup cooked barley)
|Calories per serving:||177|
|Fat per serving:||5.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||2.8g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.7g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||27g|
|Fiber per serving:||6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||3mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||420mg|
|Calcium per serving:||82mg|
Good to Know
This grain is loaded with fiber (3 grams per 1/2 cup cooked), but remember that barley is known for soaking up liquid, so add tosoup only at serving time.