- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3/4 cup quinoa, rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 large egg whites
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 4 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 6 cups baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup salsa, optional
1. In a saucepan, heat water to boiling. Add quinoa, garlic, and salt. Simmer, covered (10 minutes). Uncover and cook 2 minutes longer until dry. Transfer to large bowl; cool.
2. Preheat the oven to 350°.
3. Stir egg whites, Parmesan, basil, and pepper into quinoa.
4. In a nonstick skillet, heat 2 tsp oil over medium heat. Using 1/4-cup measure, make 4 quinoa pancakes; flatten. Cook until golden (2 minutes per side). Transfer to a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining oil and quinoa.
5. Bake pancakes 5 minutes until heated through. Serve on spinach, with salsa if desired.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 2 pancakes, 1 1/2 cups spinach)
|Calories per serving:||227|
|Fat per serving:||9.3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.6g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||4.6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.7g|
|Protein per serving:||11g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||25g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||9mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||386mg|
|Calcium per serving:||158mg|
Good to Know
This ancient grain is a complete protein, meaning it contains all of the nine amino acids our bodies need but can’t make.