Tropical Buckwheat Salad
- 1 cup buckwheat groats
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more for buckwheat cooking water
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 large red bell pepper, diced
- 1 mango, peeled and diced
- 2/3 cup diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- 4 cups mixed salad greens
1. In a large skillet, toast buckwheat over medium-high heat, shaking, until lightly browned and fragrant (3 minutes).
2. Cook buckwheat in boiling lightly salted water until just tender (5-7 minutes); drain.
3. In a large bowl mix vinegar, oil, 1/2 tsp salt, and ground pepper. Add warm buckwheat, bell pepper, mango, onion, and parsley; toss. Serve on greens.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: 1 1/2 cups buckwheat salad, 1 cup greens)
|Calories per serving:||297|
|Fat per serving:||8.3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.1g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.8g|
|Protein per serving:||7g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||52g|
|Fiber per serving:||7g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||438mg|
|Calcium per serving:||25mg|
Good to Know
Related to rhubarb, buckwheat is gluten-free and high in protein and soluble fiber.