- 2 ounces thick-sliced country bread, toasted
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 8 ounces vine-ripened tomatoes, coarsely chopped (1 1/2 cups)
- 1/2 ounce (1/2 TBSP) feta cheese
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1. Cut the toasted bread into 1-inch pieces (you should have 2 cups). Transfer to a portable container.
2. Add cucumber, red onion, tomatoes, and feta. Toss lightly. Sprinkle mixture with vinegar, oil, and pepper to taste. Toss again. Salad is best marinated, when tomato juices have run into the bread. Keep at room temperature up to 3 hours, or refrigerate up to 6 hours.
- Prep Time: Panzanella is a classic Italian salad that uses stale bread and ripe tomatoes to their best advantage.
- Yield: Makes 1 serving (serving size: about 3 1/2 cups)
|Calories per serving:||363|
|Fat per serving:||12.7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||3.2g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||5.7g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1g|
|Protein per serving:||10g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||53g|
|Fiber per serving:||6g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||13mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||535mg|
|Calcium per serving:||171mg|