Watercress Soup with Toasted Almonds
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 medium potatoes, diced
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 3 bunches watercress, roughly chopped
- 1/4 cup plus 3 TBSP fat-free Greek yogurt
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons toasted sliced almonds
1. In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic; cook 3 minutes. Add potatoes; sauté 3 minutes. Add broth; simmer, covered, 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
2. Add watercress to pan; cook 3 minutes, until wilted. In batches, purée soup in blender; return to pan. Whisk in 1/4 cup yogurt, salt, and pepper; reheat gently (do not boil). Serve with remaining 3 TBSP yogurt and almonds.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Yield: Makes 3 servings
|Calories per serving:||261|
|Fat per serving:||11.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||7.8g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.5g|
|Protein per serving:||10g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||32g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||2mg|
|Sodium per serving:||414mg|
|Calcium per serving:||287mg|
Good to Know
The bright fresh flavor of watercress follows its health benefits—tons of bone-strengthening calcium.
Recipe adapted from The Meat Free Monday Cookbook, copyright 2011. Published by Kyle Books Limited.