Super Vegetable Salad
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes
- 3 large broccoli florets, cut up
- 12 green beans, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 carrots, cut diagonally into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 head lettuce (Paul likes romaine)
- 3 scallions, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon red-wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard (optional)
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup (optional)
- 2/3 cup cornmeal
- 1/4 cup chopped assorted fresh herbs
- 9 ounces tofu, cut into 8 slices
1. Preheat oven to 400°. In small roasting pan, roast cherry tomatoes 10 minutes.
2. In saucepan, steam broccoli, beans, and carrots over 1 inch boiling water (15 minutes, or until tender).
3. Arrange lettuce leaves and scallions on 4 plates. In small bowl, whisk 2 TBSP oil with vinegar, mustard, and syrup.
4. In shallow bowl, combine cornmeal and herbs. In large skillet, heat remaining 1 TBSP oil. Dip tofu in cornmeal and sauté until golden.
5. Top salad with vegetables, tomatoes, and tofu; drizzle with dressing.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Feel free to vary the vegetables according to the season in this Super Vegetable Salad. Don’t like tofu? Just sub in the protein of your choice.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings
|Calories per serving:||267|
|Fat per serving:||14.1g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.9g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||8.3g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||3.3g|
|Protein per serving:||11g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||28g|
|Fiber per serving:||8g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||4mg|
|Sodium per serving:||53mg|
|Calcium per serving:||181mg|
Good to Know
Substitute the vegetables depending on what’s in season to keep this salad a mainstay in your kitchen year-round. Mixing up the protein of choice assures this recipe never gets boring, too.