Poached Fruit over Waffles
- 1 tablespoon coriander seeds
- 3/4 cup agave nectar
- Zest of 1 lemon (removed in large strips with vegetable peeler)
- 1 small bunch fresh tarragon, tied with a string
- 4 cups water
- 2 apricots
- 4 plums
- 2 peaches or nectarines
- 1 pear, peeled and left whole
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 6 (35-gram) frozen whole-grain waffles, toasted
1. In large saucepot, toast coriander seeds until fragrant (3-5 minutes). Add agave, lemon zest, tarragon, and water; heat to a simmer, stirring to blend. Simmer 10 minutes. Remove from heat; let stand 20 minutes.
2. Add fruit to syrup. Cover pot and return to a low simmer, stirring occasionally. After 10 minutes, begin checking fruit for doneness (tip of sharp knife will slide in easily); transfer to bowl as it is tender. Slip skins from apricots, plums, and peaches; cut all fruit in half. Stir vanilla into syrup. Serve fruit over waffles.
- Prep Time:
- Total Time: Feel free to substitute 2-3 pounds of any fruit you like. Instead of waffles, you can serve with angel food cake or anything that captures the tasty juice--you'll want every drop.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 waffle, about 1 1/2 fruits, and 3 tbsp syrup)
|Calories per serving:||143|
|Fat per serving:||1.8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.5g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.6g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.3g|
|Protein per serving:||4g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||31g|
|Fiber per serving:||4g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||3mg|
|Iron per serving:||3mg|
|Sodium per serving:||338mg|
|Calcium per serving:||117mg|
Good to Know
Feel free to substitute 2-3 pounds of any fruit you like. Make sure they are “just-ripe” for the perfect consistency and texture.