Classic Carrot-Ginger Soup
- 8 carrots (1 pound), sliced, leaves reserved for garnish
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh ginger
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper, plus additional for garnish
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
1. In large pot, simmer carrots and next 5 ingredients (through water), covered, until carrots are tender (20-25 minutes).
2. Using an immersion blender (or a standard, blender working in batches), blend until smooth; add lemon juice. Divide among 4 bowls; garnish with crushed red pepper and carrot leaves. If desired, serve chilled.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: A bowl full of Carrot-Ginger Soup not only offers color and fragrance but it's light and soothing as well. Save a few carrot leaves the garnish.
- Yield: Makes 4 servings (serving size: about 1 1/4 cups)
|Calories per serving:||50|
|Fat per serving:||0.3g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||0.1g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||0.0g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||0.2g|
|Protein per serving:||1g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||12g|
|Fiber per serving:||3g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||319mg|
|Calcium per serving:||39mg|
Good to Know
The rich orange color of carrots assures that you’re getting tons of the nutrient beta-carotene. Save a few carrot leaves for an unexpected garish.