Pasta alla Formiana
- Cooking spray
- 1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, with juice
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove, coarsely chopped
- 2 cups (8 ounces) mezze penne or other small pasta
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 tablespoons dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 ripe beefsteak tomatoes, sliced 1/4 inch thick
1. Preheat oven to 450°. Spray an 8-inch square baking dish with cooking spray.
2. In food processor, blend crushed tomatoes and juice, chicken broth, and garlic. Pour into a medium saucepan and bring to a boil. Stir in uncooked pasta, 3 tablespoons olive oil, oregano, salt, and pepper.
3. Line bottom and sides of the baking dish with one-half to two-thirds of the tomato slices; pour in pasta mixture. Arrange remaining tomatoes on top. Drizzle with remaining olive oil.
4. Put dish on a rimmed baking sheet; bake 30 minutes, or until tomatoes are slightly crispy and pasta is cooked. Cool 5 minutes.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time: Pasta alla Formiana is a quick and very simple dish that you can make with ingredients that you can find at the grocery store.
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1/6 pasta)
|Calories per serving:||297|
|Fat per serving:||10.7g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||1.4g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6.9g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||1.3g|
|Protein per serving:||8g|
|Carbohydrate per serving:||44g|
|Fiber per serving:||5g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||0.0mg|
|Iron per serving:||0.0mg|
|Sodium per serving:||509mg|
|Calcium per serving:||0.0mg|
Good to Know
This recipe may be simple to make, but the flavors areanything but. Crushed, can-tomatoes mixed with the chopped fresh variety make for a bright blend atop pasta.