Spaghetti With Wilted Greens and Walnut-Parsley Pesto
- 1 (1-pound) box whole-wheat spaghetti
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, chopped
- 1 cup packed fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1/2 cup packed fresh baby spinach
- 1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
- 1 small clove garlic, peeled and chopped
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, divided
- 6 large eggs
1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil over high heat. Cook pasta according to package directions; reserve 1/4 cup of pasta cooking water. Add chard after 5 minutes of cooking and drain; return pasta and greens to pot.
2. While pasta is cooking, combine parsley, spinach, walnuts, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil, lemon zest, 1 tablespoon water, and 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper in a food processor; pulse until chunky.
3. In a large nonstick skillet, heat remaining 2 teaspoons olive oil over medium-high heat. Working in batches, crack eggs into skillet. Cook until the whites are completely firm but the yolks are still soft (about 2 minutes). Season eggs with remaining 1/4 teaspoon each salt and pepper.
4. Toss reserved pasta mixture with pesto and enough reserved cooking water to make a thin sauce. Divide pasta among 6 shallow bowls and top each with a fried egg.
- Prep Time:
- Cook Time:
- Total Time:
- Yield: Makes 6 servings (serving size: 1 1/3 cups)
|Calories per serving:||439|
|Fat per serving:||14.8g|
|Saturated fat per serving:||2.9g|
|Monounsaturated fat per serving:||6.8g|
|Polyunsaturated fat per serving:||4.1g|
|Protein per serving:||20g|
|Carbohydrates per serving:||62g|
|Fiber per serving:||11g|
|Cholesterol per serving:||186mg|
|Iron per serving:||6mg|
|Sodium per serving:||448mg|
|Calcium per serving:||128mg|
Good to Know
This meal makes for excellent post-workout fuel (a great mix of whole grains and protein). Added bonus: You get plenty of antioxidants from the veggies, herbs, and walnuts.